Windows 2000, NTFS and linux.

Post by Guido Vettorett » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

When I installed dual booting win2000 and RH linux I was told by win2k
not to use NTFS if I have a dual boot system, so I used FAT32. Would it
be bad to convert my win2000 FAT32 partition to NTFS?

Thanks
Guido.

Windows 2000, NTFS and linux.

Post by dsmit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

That message assumes you want to dual boot with an inferior OS like
Win9x..  They cannot read NTFS, so it would cause problems.. Linux on the
other hand is superior to all and can read it fine :)

(note: linux has only experimental support for writing to NTFS, but full
support for reading.)

-Dan

Windows 2000, NTFS and linux.

Post by <mrsi.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

It also depends upon your distribution. If you're running 6.x (I have no
clue about 7), you'll have to rebuild the kernel to add NTFS support.

Good Luck,
 - Mark R. Sizer

P.S. Since you really just need to add one module, it would be handy to
NOT have to rebuild the kernel. I've discovered that rebuilding the
kernel is the Linux version of the Windows "Reboot Now, Reboot Later" prompt.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Windows 2000, NTFS and linux.:
Quote:> That message assumes you want to dual boot with an inferior OS like