Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

Dump/Restore problem: multiple dumps per Travan 5 tape

Post by Adam Finkelste » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello.
I have an ide Colorado TR5 tape that I can happily back up one partition
and restore it using:
/sbin/dump 0af /dev/ht0 /dev/hda1

On sun boxes I use a dump script to dump multiple partitions to 4mm tape
using a shell script. I have to define block size density and length for
the dump to be restorable.

I wrote the following (commented lines) and cannot restore a specific
partition using:

/sbin/restore -s 2 -if /dev/ht0

#!/bin/bash
#
mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
#/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
#/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
#/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
/sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
/sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
/sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
mt -f /dev/ht0 offline

I thought maybe I'd need to provide (like the 4mm tape on sun boxes here)
block size (64) but I cannot figure out the density and length of TR5
Travan tape. Does anyone know what they are, and if provided as arguments
to the above /sbin/dump in the above script, will they allow multiple dumps
per tape and then restore specific partitions using the -s argument in
restore.

Thanks in advance, and upcoming too.

Adam
--
Adam Finkelstein
SOTAS, Inc.

Post by Leonard Even » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hello.
> I have an ide Colorado TR5 tape that I can happily back up one partition
> and restore it using:
> /sbin/dump 0af /dev/ht0 /dev/hda1

> On sun boxes I use a dump script to dump multiple partitions to 4mm tape
> using a shell script. I have to define block size density and length for
> the dump to be restorable.

> I wrote the following (commented lines) and cannot restore a specific
> partition using:

> /sbin/restore -s 2 -if /dev/ht0

> #!/bin/bash
> #
> mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
> #/sbin/dump 0af /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda1
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda2
> /sbin/dump 0absf 64 2300 /dev/nht0 /dev/hda3
> mt -f /dev/ht0 rewind
> mt -f /dev/ht0 offline

> I thought maybe I'd need to provide (like the 4mm tape on sun boxes here)
> block size (64) but I cannot figure out the density and length of TR5
> Travan tape. Does anyone know what they are, and if provided as arguments
> to the above /sbin/dump in the above script, will they allow multiple dumps
> per tape and then restore specific partitions using the -s argument in
> restore.

> Thanks in advance, and upcoming too.

> Adam
> --
> Adam Finkelstein
> SOTAS, Inc.
> 301-258-8873 ext. 265  301-258-0059 (fax)

I haven't studied your specific question, but let me raise
another point.  I have the same drive, but I use tar to backup.
I've found the mt command cannot place me at the appropriate
tape archive for recovering something if I put multiple archives
on the same tape.  (The same thing happens on a Travan SCSI
tape drive we had.)  But if I do an
mt -f /dev/nht0 weof
between the archives, then I can position the tape using twice
the requisite number of skips.
Have you checked if the same thing happens for you?

1. Help with dump/restore ("Tape is not a dump tape")

Hi,

I have performed dump of several partitions on a type in a Mammoth
drive. Then I tried to look at them by "restore", and I could access the
first partition. After that I ran "restore" once again, and I expected
that I would see the list of the files in the second partition. Instead,
all I got was the message "Tape is not a dump tape". When I ran "mt
status", it showed that I still am at the file 0. I also could not
advance by "mt fsf" - it exits immediately, and the status is the same.

I tried to backup two small directories, and I had no trouble restoring
them later. But when I backup whole partitions, I keep getting this
error.

I have Redhat 6.1.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
Simon
--
 _________

| y = e   |                                    (current address)
|_________|   Life is file...
http://www.simonf.com

Disclaimer: This is not me.                    (lifetime address)
This is just my mailer talking to your mailer...

2. how many www boxes run Linux?

3. unix dump: dumped twice to same dumpfile; restore if file displays only last dump

4. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

5. Amanda -> amrestore / restore problem 'Tape is not a dump Tape'

6. UDP Ports 1839 and 1841?

7. Stupid Questions: Sun 8mm dump tape =>AIX 8mm dump tape

8. Anyone care to share experiences they've had with smartDAX 700?

9. Problems with dump to HP T4000s Travan tape

10. dumping one Mac OS hd to another a la dump/restore

11. HELP, Problem with restoring from a dump tape

12. Dumping with Travan 8Gb tapes

13. Probs with dump on a Travan TR-4 Tape