A Question on PCMCIA

Post by Karl_Kleinpa.. » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> * What do I have to do to get PCMCIA support, is the installation
>   difficult?

I only use PCMCIA slots for modem/ethernet usage, so I'll restrict my
followup to one answer:

ftp to cb-iris.stanford.edu, look in pub/pcmcia, and pick up David
Hinds' fine PCMCIA package, pcmcia-cs-2.6.2.tgz.  Installation is a
snap.  I'm very pleased with the results of its use on my laptop.

There is a SUPPORTED.CARDS file which lists all the cards known to
work with the package.

You will also need recent module support; see README.modules under
/usr/src/linux, and get version 1.2.8 from one of the sunsite mirrors.
Install that before installing PCMCIA stuff.

A Question on PCMCIA

Post by Jens Ern » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I'm using Linux on a notebook and I am thinking of using a PCMCIA card
to increase the performance a little. The following questions may seem
stupid to those who are more experienced with PCs than I am, but I hope
someone will answer them anyway:

* Can I use a card as a simple RAM extension ?
* Is it possible to use a card as a swapping device and increase
  speed under X11 ?
* What do I have to do to get PCMCIA support, is the installation
  difficult?

I'd greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

--Jens.

A Question on PCMCIA

Post by Roger C. P » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I'm using Linux on a notebook and I am thinking of using a PCMCIA card
>to increase the performance a little. The following questions may seem
>stupid to those who are more experienced with PCs than I am, but I hope
>someone will answer them anyway:
>* Can I use a card as a simple RAM extension ?
>* Is it possible to use a card as a swapping device and increase
>  speed under X11 ?
>* What do I have to do to get PCMCIA support, is the installation
>  difficult?

Check out ftp://cb-iris.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/*.  Lots of stuff
including current PCMCIA Card Svcs for Linux.

rp95
--

1. Socket Enet PCMCIA and Socket/Trimble GPS PCMCIA on SCO

I'm responsible for getting Socket Ethernet PCMCIA and Socket/Trimble
GPS PCMCIA cards working on several SCO Unix systems.  I'm having
problems with the gps card on my custom 486/33 boxes.

Setup:  Socket EA Lan Adapter
        Socket/Trimble GPS Card
        SCO Unix
        Wimsey?/Socket? Driver
        Hardware: Either IBM Thinkpad or custom 486/33 Box

This setup works fine on the Thinkpad, but fails on the custom box.
What do I mean by failure?  On the Thinkpad, the driver finds
/dev/tty2a available for use, but on the custom box, tty2a is busy
(for some reason), and so the driver tries to use tty3a.

I've done "mkdev serial" several times to make sure tty3a exists.  It
does.  The call to (Unix) open(...) succeeds, we initialize/write
packets to the port, but we never read anything, the call to read()
just blocks forever.  Something's not right.

I've tried several things to jar it loose.  I've altered the irq to be
used for IBM-COM3 in /etc/conf/pack.d/sio/space.c (from 12 to
11,10,5).  I've tried enabling the #defines for SEL_COM3.  But still I
have no success.  I've also tried using COM4 for that matter.

I should say that the unix-boot messages indicate presence of the
Trimble GPS card, so I know the card is plugged into the PCMCIA card
ok.  I've tried the same gps cards in my Thinkpads, and they work just
fine.  I've also tried switching the enet card and the gps card
between slots.  Enet card works, but gps doesn't.

Do you have any documentation or other guidance on how to use
the Socket/Wimsey cards/drivers with SCO Unix?  Do you have any direct
experience with this configuration?  Do you have any references to
other users with this kind of configuration?  Do you have any
references to internet sources for help?

Desperate for help.
--

2. iBCS binaries

3. Hawking Wireless PCMCIA card / pcmcia-cs

4. laptop PPC alternative to PBG3 ?

5. Texas Instrument PCI7420 PCMCIA controlers don't see any PCMCIA Card

6. 'Path for the shared libraries which I do not have direct dependency' also in LD_LIBRARY_PATH

7. Sucessful PCMCIA Setup w/ pcmcia-cs-3.0.1

8. Linux Electronic Mail HOWTO

9. Win98 PCMCIA -> Linux : no more PCMCIA

10. Having problem with PCMCIA and USR Sportster PCMCIA modem

11. Eiger Labs SS1000 PCMCIA / Fujitsu SCSI600 PCMCIA

12. PCMCIA Grey Cell Network Card and PCMCIA Modem don't work together

13. only show the PCMCIA/CardBus submenu if "PCMCIA/CardBus support" is selected