Linux Bootup Sequence and required files

Post by Paul Kimo » Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> What files are required on a disk to allow Linux to boot and in which order
> do they load etc etc....

> Can anyone point me to any useful links on this subject.

> I am trying to learn Linux from the perspective of knowing what the minimum
> system is and then what files are "added" to this minimal system in order to
> create a working operational operating system.

You might like to try the Bootdisk HOWTO:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/linux/LDP/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html

--

Linux Bootup Sequence and required files

Post by Robert Zolko » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to work out exactly how linux works.

I know that for DOS/Windows to boot up, one needs a disk that has io.sys,
msdos.sys and command.com on it.

What files are required on a disk to allow Linux to boot and in which order
do they load etc etc....

Can anyone point me to any useful links on this subject.

I am trying to learn Linux from the perspective of knowing what the minimum
system is and then what files are "added" to this minimal system in order to
create a working operational operating system.  If anyone has a better way
to learn it, please share !!!

Regards,

Rob