RedHat 3.03 failed to install

Post by Jeff » Mon, 03 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Let me state what hardware involve in this problem:

ASUS T2P4 motherboard with 512k cache;
Matrox 4MB video card
ASUS SC-200 SCSI controller
1.6 GB WD HD
NEC 6x SCSI CD

I have spent last three hours in trying to install the RedHat 3.03 into
above machine. But I failed. I chose to use the text mode for the most
part of the installation because the graphics didn't work or become broken
when I tried to specify mouse info for the Matrox card. The problem in
text mode is somewhat similar to the graphics mode except it came much
latter in the course of the installation. After installing all the packages
I specified, the next thing is to choose video board driver, in this
case, the Metro-X server is choosen. Then I was asked what kind of mouse
used in the system. I then chose the Microsoft serial mouse. What port,
it is equivalent to the COM1 in DOS. Then I see some files are copied
and, the last message on the bottom of the screen I can catch is something
the errors are logged in ... file. The next thing is the screen went
black, it seems like it is entering the X. It sits in dark for the next
few minutes until I turned off the power. I repeated this kind of
installation at least 3-4 times and each time the problem occures at the
same location. What is the problem here?  Is this a RedHat problem or
Metro-X's problem?  I think the hardware and software should be able to
work but I don't know what caused the problem I am having. If anyone
has solution to this, please help. And any input would be greatly
appreciated.

Jeff

1. RedHat 3.03 failed to install

[...]

2. who knows what is language optional software package is on solaris 8?

3. Fast Data Access MMU Miss

4. Partitions-Problem

5. HELP: RedHat 3.03 CD install problem

6. HP 6L printer

7. Installing ftape on RedHat 3.03 Linux

8. RedHat 3.03 and Comtrol RocketPort Driver Install Problem

9. Installed Redhat 3.03 and now telnet doesn't work...

10. Redhat 3.03 install problem

11. Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300