Oracle 8 DB & Linux 6.0: mount points

Post by rb.. » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone done the mount points?  I've created four directories hoping
to use the command "mount" somehow to make them work, but I don't really
know what I'm doing so obviously it's not working.  I'm using a bash shell,
by the way.

Raquel

Oracle 8 DB & Linux 6.0: mount points

Post by Steve Sorde » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I believe I created one directory, u01, and then Oracle created the
others. I had to select not to install across four mount points at some
point during the installation, but it was a while back so I don't
remember exactly where.

Look at some of the past postings on installing Oracle on RH 6.0. I
found that it was a lot easier to install RH 5.2 first, install Oracle,
and then upgrade to 6.0. It was mostly painless, though it still took a
day to get everything set up and figured out.

Steve Sorden
Information Technology Services
Northern Arizona University.

Post by Arnold Schomme » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Has anyone done the mount points?  I've created four directories hoping
> to use the command "mount" somehow to make them work, but I don't really
> know what I'm doing so obviously it's not working.  I'm using a bash shell,
> by the way.

> Raquel

For a first try, just create directories /u001 ... and ignore the words
"mount point". The oracle software should work without seperate volumes.
I myself found the linux version of the oracle installer very unstable -
i more than once experienced it aborting an installation for reasons i
did not understand and running over the same point on my next try with
the same settings. But maybe this is just caused by my hardware
(although i have no further reason to believe it to be broken).

You should also try to follow the installation instructions - they are
hard to follow, but there are several things to be done without
ready-to-use scripts.

Arnold Schommer

Post by wine » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> Has anyone done the mount points?  I've created four directories hoping
> to use the command "mount" somehow to make them work, but I don't really
> know what I'm doing so obviously it's not working.  I'm using a bash shell,
> by the way.

> Raquel

When setting up a really serious Oracle system one would be using a
lot of discs,
the last one I did was a 7-disc system (and that was a small system).
One spreads
the tablespaces and other files out carefully to maximise performance
(unless
you are using RAID 5).

With the typical small Linux system you don't have that number of
spindles, just
create the directories pread out as well as you can across your discs
and let the
database creator get on with it.

If it is 8.0.5 you have applied the glibc patch haven't you ?

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

1. Oracle install - mount points

Hello gurus,

I am in the process of installing Oracle 8i on my SUN SPARC 20. It is
half way through and I need some help. I am new to unix btw.

I needed 4 mount points. /u01 /u02 --4

I created one /u01 as root . As use Oracle I specified the location when
I started the installation of Oracle 8i. Now it is asking for /u02 to
install the DB files.

How can I mount /u02 now as use oracle. It does not allow me saying
permission denied. I then said su - oracle and password. Even after
that, it did not allow me.

Can anybody help with this or do I have to come out. login in as root
and mount /u02.

Also, I have /u01 mounted on /deb/dsk/c0t3d0s4
Can I mount /u02 on the same device?

Thanks

Cecil

2. IP masq and dynamic ip address

3. tunnel point to point vs physical point to point

4. Apache not logging hostnames

5. DB-9, DB-25 & RJ-45 question :)

6. Linux Modem BBS or Host

7. Accessing an Oracle DB from Linux

8. mouse for lombardo

9. Dell Inspiron 7000 & Linux Redhat 6.0 & Kernel 2.2.10 & X-Windows

10. Linux & Oracle8 DB: setting & exporting?

11. PHP on Linux: connection to an Oracle DB ?

12. Linux&Apache&DB

13. Accessing ORACLE DB from Linux with TCL