Printing Problem - get extra blank page

Post by Thane Brooke » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

When I use lpr to print I always get an extra blank page at the end of the
document.

If I copy the file direct to /dev/lp1 then I don't get the blank page.

What do I need to do to stop lpr sending the extra page?

Thane

Post by J.M. Pad » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>When I use lpr to print I always get an extra blank page at the end of the
>document.

>If I copy the file direct to /dev/lp1 then I don't get the blank page.

>What do I need to do to stop lpr sending the extra page?

I believe that lpr -h suppresses the header page.  Try it from the
command line and if it works, then you can put an alias for it in
your ~/.bashrc file:
        alias lpr="lpr -h"

Regards,

 "The last temptation is the greatest treason:
  To do the right deed for the wrong reason."
  --T.S. Eliot  (Yet to be quoted on Martha's Vineyard)

Printing Problem - get extra blank page

Post by Dirk Gesch » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> When I use lpr to print I always get an extra blank page at the end of the
> document.

> If I copy the file direct to /dev/lp1 then I don't get the blank page.

> What do I need to do to stop lpr sending the extra page?

Edit the file /etc/printcap and put the option

:sh:

between the entries. This suppresses headers and/or banner pages,

Dirk

| Universit"at Gh Kassel    | Tel.  :      0561/804-4581            |
| Fachbereich Physik        | Heinrich-Plett-Stra/3e 40             |
| Theoretische Physik       | 34132 Kassel                          |

Printing Problem - get extra blank page

Post by Thane Brooke » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Didn't work, unfortunately.  Have also tried :sh: in the Printcap, which
made no difference.  Just to clarify:

ls >/dev/lp1     works no problem
ls | lpr     gives an extra blank page

My printcap entry is
lp:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd:
or
lp:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:
(No difference in result)

Thanks

Thane

> >When I use lpr to print I always get an extra blank page at the end of
the
> >document.

> >If I copy the file direct to /dev/lp1 then I don't get the blank page.

> >What do I need to do to stop lpr sending the extra page?

> I believe that lpr -h suppresses the header page.  Try it from the
> command line and if it works, then you can put an alias for it in
> your ~/.bashrc file:
>    alias lpr="lpr -h"

> Regards,

>  "The last temptation is the greatest treason:
>   To do the right deed for the wrong reason."
>   --T.S. Eliot  (Yet to be quoted on Martha's Vineyard)

Printing Problem - get extra blank page

Post by Thane Brooke » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Have tried sh in printcap and have tried lpr -h.  Neither do the trick.

To recap:

ls | lpr prints extra blank page  (even with sh in printcap)
ls > /dev/lp1 works fine

Thanks

Post by Jack Ke » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>>When I use lpr to print I always get an extra blank page at the end of the
>>document.

>>If I copy the file direct to /dev/lp1 then I don't get the blank page.

>>What do I need to do to stop lpr sending the extra page?

You could try the "suppress form feeds" capability in /etc/printcap:  sf

man printcap excerpt:

  CAPABILITIES

     Name       Type      Description
     sf         bool      false                  suppress form feeds

--

1. Printing: I get an extra blank page...

  Hi, I've set a Linux box running Samba to be a printer server of other
Win95 machines. I have a problem: I am getting an extra blank page at
the end of each job. I read somewhere in the samba documentation that
this could be fixed by changeing some postscript setting in win95 or the
/etc/printcap file, but the printer I'm using is not a postscript
printer, and I'm not currently using any filter in the printcap file.

   Please help!

   Thanks...
       Santiago Murman

2. mmdf problem (relay, authorization)

3. Solaris 2.7 system printing extra blank page

4. Really dumb question but quick to answer

5. Printer always prints an extra page (blank)

6. Fixed frequency monitor and X

7. Extra blank page when printing from Win95 via samba

8. New video card, unexpected XF86Config difficulties

9. Netscape printing extra blank pages

10. Samba prints extra blank page

11. Extra Blank Page at end of Print Jobs

12. Printer prints an extra blank page ?!!

13. print problem, blank page printing