Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Gustaf Erikso » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00




> We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using
> Macs and
> Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)... well maybe it's time
> Linux got
> some placement in a high grossing film. Maybe we should start a "Linux
> Placement Fund" to put Linux into the public eye through all types of
> media.
> What do you think??

The nerds save the world? ;-)

Problem is, apple has a box with a logo on it. A cool Linux box? Matte black,
small, sleek and multitasking? Perhaps.

On the other hand, people who see ID4 and Mission:Improbable wouldn't know
what a threaded OS was if it hit them in the face. Leave product placements to
companies who need M$-money to survive -- Linux will be better served by
information, not entertainment.

/g.

--
Gustaf Erikson                  <http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~f92-ger/>

 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Paul Seeli » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
> Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)...

Well, Apple's comic strip type of a GUI catches the eye pretty easy.
Here Linux and X just can't compete. Could you imagine a movie's hero
to communicate via Usenet using Emacs and Gnus? ;-) Not really a show
stopper for the easy minded cinema visitor!

Quote:> well maybe it's time Linux got some placement in a high grossing
> film. Maybe we should start a "Linux Placement Fund" to put Linux
> into the public eye through all types of media.  What do you think??

Apple have their apple logo, we have our oh-so-cute penguin. maybe we
should ask at Disney's? ;-)
                                   Cheers, P. *8^)
--

   African Music Archive - Institute for Ethnology and Africa Studies
   Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig

 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Farrel Lifs » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00


We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)... well maybe it's time Linux got
some placement in a high grossing film. Maybe we should start a "Linux
Placement Fund" to put Linux into the public eye through all types of media.
What do you think??

 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Nicholas Strugnel » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
> Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)... well maybe it's time Linux got
> some placement in a high grossing film. Maybe we should start a "Linux
> Placement Fund" to put Linux into the public eye through all types of media.
> What do you think??

--

Just saw 'Contact' last night and the sets for the control room at the
Very Large Array in New Mexico had quite a variety of hardware in them
including the usual SGIs, SPARCs and Windoze machines. However one PC in
particular caught my eye - it was running X with a pretty hacked-up and
cool looking window manager - _possibly_ fvwm. There was also a "UNIX
PARTY" badge stuck to the side of the display. A first Linux sighting in
a movie perhaps?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Nicholas Strugnell              |       Phone (Office): +1 (617) 353-8031
Department of Geography         |       Phone (Home):   +1 (617) 441-0750
Boston University               |       Fax:            +1 (617) 353-8399

Boston, MA 02215, USA           |       WWW:            TBA
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Gisbert Berge » Tue, 12 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
> Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)... well maybe it's time Linux got
> some placement in a high grossing film. Maybe we should start a "Linux
> Placement Fund" to put Linux into the public eye through all types of media.
> What do you think??

good idea
If you've time and can do it - do it.
I think there are some enterprises using Linux (like the car rental
SIXT http://www.sixt.de) and whats about  redhat, caldera, S.U.S.E,
FT-Linux etc. ? Maybe you can ask them for sponsoring..
And do not forget to ask Spielberg, maybe he will place penguins on
the screens in his next movie only just for fun or because he likes
the idea of linux (if he knows, when you sent hime E-Mails..).
Hopefully somebody will write a SF bestseller about the last fight
on the computer market (David = Linux against Goliath = Mickey-soft).
But leave the fun aside - if you can do it, it would be a good idea.

GB

 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by David Buba » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00




> > We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
> > Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)...

> Well, Apple's comic strip type of a GUI catches the eye pretty easy.
> Here Linux and X just can't compete. Could you imagine a movie's hero
> to communicate via Usenet using Emacs and Gnus? ;-) Not really a show
> stopper for the easy minded cinema visitor!

I take it you haven't seen Enlightenment??!!??

It bloze away Win when it comes to themes.
You can make it look like practically ANYthing.
see http://www.rasterman.com or http://www.mandrake.com/e

> > well maybe it's time Linux got some placement in a high grossing
> > film. Maybe we should start a "Linux Placement Fund" to put Linux
> > into the public eye through all types of media.  What do you think??

> Apple have their apple logo, we have our oh-so-cute penguin. maybe we
> should ask at Disney's? ;-)
>                                    Cheers, P. *8^)
> --

>    African Music Archive - Institute for Ethnology and Africa Studies
>    Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
>    My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig

--
The Universe is contingent upon the existence of a
benevolent, immutable, universally non-contingent being
----------------------------------------------------------


 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by David Buba » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00




> > We have all seen in the movies how Apple tries to have everyone using Macs and
> > Powerbooks (see ID4 and Mission:Impossibe)... well maybe it's time Linux got
> > some placement in a high grossing film. Maybe we should start a "Linux
> > Placement Fund" to put Linux into the public eye through all types of media.
> > What do you think??
> --

> Just saw 'Contact' last night and the sets for the control room at the
> Very Large Array in New Mexico had quite a variety of hardware in them
> including the usual SGIs, SPARCs and Windoze machines. However one PC in
> particular caught my eye - it was running X with a pretty hacked-up and
> cool looking window manager - _possibly_ fvwm. There was also a "UNIX
> PARTY" badge stuck to the side of the display. A first Linux sighting in
> a movie perhaps?

Maybe it was Enlightenment??
do you think??

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Nicholas Strugnell              |       Phone (Office): +1 (617) 353-8031
> Department of Geography         |       Phone (Home):   +1 (617) 441-0750
> Boston University               |       Fax:            +1 (617) 353-8399

> Boston, MA 02215, USA           |       WWW:            TBA
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

--
The Universe is contingent upon the existence of a
benevolent, immutable, universally non-contingent being
----------------------------------------------------------


 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by Paul Seeli » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> I take it you haven't seen Enlightenment??!!??

> It bloze away Win when it comes to themes.
> You can make it look like practically ANYthing.
> see http://www.rasterman.com or http://www.mandrake.com/e

No, i never bothered even only looking at it since it's WWW site makes
it clear that there is no significant enhancement to functionality and
i don't care about looks at all. 'Enlightenment' seems IMHO to be
rather superfluous in regard of practicability. I'm more interested in
window managers and environments who have great functionality like
'wmaker', the KDE or the still mythical GNUstep. Myself i'm still
quite happy with 'fvwm2'.
                                     Cheers, P. *8^)
--

   African Music Archive - Institute for Ethnology and Africa Studies
   Johannes Gutenberg-University   -  Forum 6  -  55099 Mainz/Germany
   My Homepage in the WWW at the URL http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig
 
 
 

Linux needs product placement for increased publicity

Post by maca.. » Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:00:00





>> I take it you haven't seen Enlightenment??!!??

>> It bloze away Win when it comes to themes.
>> You can make it look like practically ANYthing.
>> see http://www.rasterman.com or http://www.mandrake.com/e

> No, i never bothered even only looking at it since it's WWW site makes
> it clear that there is no significant enhancement to functionality and
> i don't care about looks at all. 'Enlightenment' seems IMHO to be
> rather superfluous in regard of practicability. I'm more interested in
> window managers and environments who have great functionality like
> 'wmaker', the KDE or the still mythical GNUstep. Myself i'm still
> quite happy with 'fvwm2'.
>                                      Cheers, P. *8^)

With all these new fancy window managers around, people tend to
overlook the *fact* that custom scripting of mwm, twm, etc. will far
exceed the functionality of just about anything.  

I started out using a "legacy code" .twmrc I got from some CS
department buddies many years ago.  Nowadays, if I showed it to you,
you'd love it, but you probably wouldn't be able to identify that it
is actually just 'twm'.  

I am with you on the requirement of functionality.  

It seems that people start a window manager 'out-of-the-box' and
judge it on what it 'looks like' without any regard for the
capability it really offers or what it 'could look like', if properly
customized.  

This is understandable though.  It is hard to get started on a
custom X-window environment.  I remember when I first got my 'legacy'
script and subsequently realized that I had total control over
'every aspect' of my X environment....  I sat there customizing
it all day, every day, for a week... just to start.  

Dave

 
 
 

1. What you need is a Publicity Agent!

Wishing you a joyous holiday season, and a most prosperous New Year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by MarketCom's MktAgent, interNet's premier publicity engine.      

Got something to say, a cause to promote, or goods/services to sell?
Then get the message out to thousands of open-minded, well-educated
individuals all over the world.  

Locate & Contact 100,000 interested leads, potential clients, and/or
penpals, in only five days by utilizing our FREE MktAgent demo model.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck!  God Bless!  Do Business!   http://MarketCom.com/MktAgent/

A mirror site is located at http://www.aoci.com/fontsasoc/marketcom4/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

xbkureljhardjo rbcabrouba w nqs q

2. Swapping disks

3. Using the NUM-CAPS-SCROLL lights for system load

4. G4 TI

5. Linux Publicity Project - REQ for info

6. "SXPAD" software under aix 4.1.5.0

7. Linux publicity

8. Linux publicity Project not accessible ???

9. Linux Publicity Project?

10. sed 's:/product/815/:/product/816/:g' crontab.bak

11. increase mem -> increase cpu performance ?