Print Problems with Linux and Windows

Post by Leanne Daniel Holde » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have been using an HP series 4 printer under Red Hat 5.2 for
some time without any problems.  If I disconnect the parallel
cable from my desktop with linux and connect it to my laptop
running W98, print from W98, and then reconnect my
desktop, linux will no longer print correctly.  After an lpr, the
printer light blinks indicating that it is recieving information, but
the printed material is garbage.

I have had moderate success by rebooting my linux box and reseting the
printer, but this does not always work.

A student of mine does not have this problem with an older HP series II
(other equipment and OS's the same).  Is the windows driver for the
printer messing up some setting in the printer itself?  This is
driving my crazy, and I have no idea what is going on.

I have used a manual swith box to allow two machines to acces the
printer, independently.  Is the box the problem?

Print Problems with Linux and Windows

Post by Grant Taylo » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have been using an HP series 4 printer under Red Hat 5.2 for some
> time without any problems.  If I disconnect the parallel cable from
> my desktop with linux and connect it to my laptop running W98, print
> from W98, and then reconnect my desktop, linux will no longer print
> correctly.  After an lpr, the printer light blinks indicating that
> it is recieving information, but the printed material is garbage.
> I have had moderate success by rebooting my linux box and reseting the
> printer, but this does not always work.

Hmm.  Something must be working eventually, or you would never again
be able to print from Linux!

If resetting the Linux parallel port is what causes this to work, then
you can do that easily be unloading and reloading the parallel port
driver:

# rmmod lp
# modprobe lp

I suspect that what you really need is a proper reset string in PCL
that you can preface each Linux print job with.  There are PCL
references on HP's and various other web sites.

Urg.  Read the groups you post in.

--

 Cellphone information: http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/cell/
 Libretto information:  http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/portable/