AMD K6-2 533 Mhz for Pentium 233 Mhz: does it work?

AMD K6-2 533 Mhz for Pentium 233 Mhz: does it work?

Post by Charles Stro » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard, with 430TX PCIset and a Pentium 233
Mhz CPU.  In a recent article (PC Professionell Jan 2000), there was an
announcement that AMD would come with a K6-2 533 Mhz processor on socket
7 and that even old motherboards with the 430TX chipset, such as the
ASUS97-E, could be upgraded.

Has anyone experience with such upgrade?  Does it work for an ASUS
TX97-XE motherboard?  And, if it works, is it just "replace CPU" and off
you go?  Or are there problems to be expected on hardware/software
level?  The clock?  Running SuSE 6.1 Linux plus W'95 under vmware.

Many thanks,
--
Charles Stroom

url:   http://www.fiume.demon.nl/

Post by fred smit » Mon, 07 Feb 2000 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I have an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard, with 430TX PCIset and a Pentium 233
: Mhz CPU.  In a recent article (PC Professionell Jan 2000), there was an
: announcement that AMD would come with a K6-2 533 Mhz processor on socket
: 7 and that even old motherboards with the 430TX chipset, such as the
: ASUS97-E, could be upgraded.

: Has anyone experience with such upgrade?  Does it work for an ASUS
: TX97-XE motherboard?  And, if it works, is it just "replace CPU" and off
: you go?  Or are there problems to be expected on hardware/software
: level?  The clock?  Running SuSE 6.1 Linux plus W'95 under vmware.

While the K6-2 family do fit a Socket-7 socket, since they run at much
higher speeds than an Intel Socket-7 chip they of course require a
motherboard capable of running at those speeds. I'm not familiar with
the Asus board you describe: Is it rated for a 100Mhz frontside bus
speed and has clock multipliers suitable for cranking up to 500 Mhz
or higher?

Additionally, your board needs to provide the voltages required by a
modern high speed chip. Not all older boards are suited for this.

You may wish to visit the AMD web site where there is (if you dig
enough) a list of motherboards qualified to run various of their chips
to see if yours is listed.

If it isn't, good Super-7 motherboards are not expensive. Got a FIC
VA503A with a 400 Mhz K6-2 about a month ago for less than $150.

Fred

                         While we were still sinners,
                              Christ died for us.

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 10 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I have an ASUS TX97-XE motherboard, with 430TX PCIset and a Pentium 233
>Mhz CPU.  In a recent article (PC Professionell Jan 2000), there was an
>announcement that AMD would come with a K6-2 533 Mhz processor on socket
>7 and that even old motherboards with the 430TX chipset, such as the
>ASUS97-E, could be upgraded.

>Has anyone experience with such upgrade?  Does it work for an ASUS
>TX97-XE motherboard?  And, if it works, is it just "replace CPU" and off
>you go?  Or are there problems to be expected on hardware/software
>level?  The clock?  Running SuSE 6.1 Linux plus W'95 under vmware.

I installed an AMD K6-2/400 (Evergreen Spectra400) in what was originally
a P100 box and the only hardware requirement was setting the system
voltage to VRE enable.  System multiplier is not used.  It comes with
updated flash BIOS that can handle 8 really big drives and you can set any
drive as the boot drive (I only use that to boot to an old Win95 hdb).

Just 2 things to look out for.  The BIOS has a setting for memory speed
and the default 55 ns was too fast for my old 60 ns EDO RAM.  Once I
corrected that setting, Linux ran no problem (at the wrong setting it
core dumped, but did not damage anything).

Win95 is another story.  It uses software timing loops that cause things
to crash with fast cpu.  I followed instructions to disable APM and real
mode cdrom driver (for DOS boot) and it still crashed,  Finally discovered
that it did not like my monitor driver.  The generic SVGA driver works.

Win98 works fine.  Just don't expect it to be as fast as a Pentium.  My
400 MHz compiles a kernel in about 7 minutes and my PIII 500 laptop does
it in 3.  The K6 fpu sucks (K6 400 is only 15% faster than P200 MMX

so other things are faster.

http://thunder.prohosting.com/~cv-elgin/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. Segmentation error : AMD K6-II ( 400 MHz ), 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz )

I just upgraded my LinuxBox, and since then, i'm occasionally getting
segmntation errors, especially while compiling the kernel sources.

My System is SUSE 6.2, MB Gigabyte GA-5AX, processor AMD K6 II
( 400 MHz ) and RAM 64 MB SDRAM ( 100 MHz ).

I followed the hint of SUSE about some existing error of AMD K6
which means the AMD K6 has an error which makes the system unstable
while using more memory than 32 MB.
They do not mention which type of K6 is involved.
I set the used memorysize to 32 MB ( lilo option : "linux mem=32M" )
and it did really help - linux is really stable since then.
Only problem i've got is : i didn't bought a quite expensive 64 MB SDRAM
to not to use it at all ;)

Has anybody made any experience with that bug...
Maybe it is only my memory which is buggy and not the processor ?

please give me some hints how could i find it out what is causing the
segmentation error : processor or memory ?

2. WWW video-terminal information (was Re: Wyse30 keycodes)

3. SuSE 7.1 on 533 Mhz G4 : how does it work?

4. Windows MTU

5. Linux with AMD K6-2 (esp. 300 MHz)

6. Tracing swap-usage

7. Linux Crash&Burn on 300 MHz K6/II 100 MHz Motherboard??!!

8. Understanding TCP logs

9. AMD K6-2 450 Mhz Kernel Problems

10. ASUS P5A with AMD K6-2 350 Mhz

11. Linux & AMD K6-2 333 Mhz

12. Alert: AMD K6-2 350 Mhz processor

13. Red Hat 5.1 Linux on Asus P5A-B m/b with AMD K6-2 333 MHz