IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

Post by Steve D. Perkin » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



   I've stumbled across a need lately that I'm SURE other people are
having, and was wondering if anything was out yet that fills that need.

   I have my personal domain hosted with a company several hundred
miles away, which in the past wasn't a big deal at all.  However, spam-
fighting efforts eventually led to almost all ISP's adopting POP-before-
SMTP authentication... you have to check mail through POP before you
can send mail through the server, to ensure that you're authorized to
use their SMTP resources.

   The problem is that I prefer using the IMAP protocol to check my
email... and there doesn't seem to be an IMAP-first authentication
scheme to compliment POP-first.  As such, if you're not able to use POP-
first authentication... then you need to use your own LAN or dial-in
ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail.  If you bounce around between
multiple offices and home, then changing your profile or account
settings every time you want to check mail can be ridiculous.

   What I'm looking for is some kind of email client that can use IMAP
for message retrieval... and then a quick POP-authentication (not
actually downloading any messages) before sending with SMTP.  Anything
cross platform, "Linux and MS-Windows" (Java-based?) would be lovely
icing on the cake... assuming that such a solution exists in the first
place.

   Anyone know of an email client that flexible?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

Post by Jon Skee » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00



>    I've stumbled across a need lately that I'm SURE other people are
> having, and was wondering if anything was out yet that fills that need.

>    I have my personal domain hosted with a company several hundred
> miles away, which in the past wasn't a big deal at all.  However, spam-
> fighting efforts eventually led to almost all ISP's adopting POP-before-
> SMTP authentication... you have to check mail through POP before you
> can send mail through the server, to ensure that you're authorized to
> use their SMTP resources.

>    The problem is that I prefer using the IMAP protocol to check my
> email... and there doesn't seem to be an IMAP-first authentication
> scheme to compliment POP-first.  As such, if you're not able to use POP-
> first authentication... then you need to use your own LAN or dial-in
> ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail.  If you bounce around between
> multiple offices and home, then changing your profile or account
> settings every time you want to check mail can be ridiculous.

>    What I'm looking for is some kind of email client that can use IMAP
> for message retrieval... and then a quick POP-authentication (not
> actually downloading any messages) before sending with SMTP.  Anything
> cross platform, "Linux and MS-Windows" (Java-based?) would be lovely
> icing on the cake... assuming that such a solution exists in the first
> place.

>    Anyone know of an email client that flexible?

Well, you could adapt the example client in JavaMail...

--

http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

 
 
 

IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

Post by Ken Kali » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00




<snip!>

Quote:>   What I'm looking for is some kind of email client that can use IMAP
>for message retrieval... and then a quick POP-authentication (not
>actually downloading any messages) before sending with SMTP.  Anything
>cross platform, "Linux and MS-Windows" (Java-based?) would be lovely
>icing on the cake... assuming that such a solution exists in the first
>place.

>   Anyone know of an email client that flexible?

nope, but you could write a very simple java client to log into the pop server,
then use whatever separate SMTP client you want afterwards.

To pop-authenticate, you'd only need a few lines to:

create a socket to the pop server
use an input stream to read the greeting
use an output stream to send two lines:  USER and PASS

you'd only need to install the earliest jvm to handle this task on any machines
that don't need a jvm for any other reason; or you could look into using a
browser and the plugin to get out of the sandbox...

or even use any old telnet client with a script to log in with
===

Regards,

Ken Kalish

There is no java cartel.

 
 
 

IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

Post by Steve D. Perkin » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00


   You don't have any idea, by chance... how long the authentication
lasts?  I assume it works by checking that the userid had a POP
authentication from the same IP address as the SMTP request, within a
certain timeframe.  Do you have any idea if this is basically accurate?

Steve




deja.com>

> <snip!>
> > What I'm looking for is some kind of email client that can use IMAP
> >for message retrieval... and then a quick POP-authentication (not
> >actually downloading any messages) before sending with SMTP. Anything
> >cross platform, "Linux and MS-Windows" (Java-based?) would be lovely
> >icing on the cake... assuming that such a solution exists in the
first
> >place.

> > Anyone know of an email client that flexible?

> nope, but you could write a very simple java client to log into the
pop server,
> then use whatever separate SMTP client you want afterwards.

> To pop-authenticate, you'd only need a few lines to:

> create a socket to the pop server
> use an input stream to read the greeting
> use an output stream to send two lines: USER and PASS

> you'd only need to install the earliest jvm to handle this task on
any machines
> that don't need a jvm for any other reason; or you could look into
using a
> browser and the plugin to get out of the sandbox...

> or even use any old telnet client with a script to log in with
> ===

> Regards,

> Ken Kalish

> There is no java cartel.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.
 
 
 

IMAP email client that can do POP-authentication?

Post by Ken Kali » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>   You don't have any idea, by chance... how long the authentication
>lasts?  I assume it works by checking that the userid had a POP
>authentication from the same IP address as the SMTP request, within a
>certain timeframe.  Do you have any idea if this is basically accurate?

>Steve

The same IP, yes.

I believe the one I had used had a timeout of five minutes - though each server
would almost certainly be configurable.




>deja.com>

>> <snip!>
>> > What I'm looking for is some kind of email client that can use IMAP
>> >for message retrieval... and then a quick POP-authentication (not
>> >actually downloading any messages) before sending with SMTP. Anything
>> >cross platform, "Linux and MS-Windows" (Java-based?) would be lovely
>> >icing on the cake... assuming that such a solution exists in the
>first
>> >place.

>> > Anyone know of an email client that flexible?

>> nope, but you could write a very simple java client to log into the
>pop server,
>> then use whatever separate SMTP client you want afterwards.

>> To pop-authenticate, you'd only need a few lines to:

>> create a socket to the pop server
>> use an input stream to read the greeting
>> use an output stream to send two lines: USER and PASS

>> you'd only need to install the earliest jvm to handle this task on
>any machines
>> that don't need a jvm for any other reason; or you could look into
>using a
>> browser and the plugin to get out of the sandbox...

>> or even use any old telnet client with a script to log in with
>> ===

>> Regards,

>> Ken Kalish

>> There is no java cartel.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

===

Regards,

Ken Kalish

There is no java cartel.