Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

Post by Tom Ed Whi » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

The kernel has support for powering down your monitor. You can
activate this support by compiling and running the program in the
quote section of linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c

There are various strings you can echo to the terminal to set screen
blanking and monitor powerdown. The string ESC[9;10] sets the
blanking time to ten minutes. The string ESC[14;45] will power down
the monitor after 45 minutes of inactivity at the keyboard, if your
monitor supports this.

I have gotton these escape sequences to work just fine if I'm logged
in to the linux console. However, they will not work in an Xterm.
Even if you log into the linux console and run the escape sequences
there, it no longer works when you switch back to the X session. I
would like to be able to call these escape sequences from my
.bash_profile, so that monitor power down is set automatically when
I log into an Xterm.

Is there a secret to echoing these escape sequences in an Xterm, or
any other alternative?

Thanks,
Tom Ed White

Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

Post by Lars Torben Wilso » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there a secret to echoing these escape sequences in an Xterm, or
> any other alternative?

> Thanks,
> Tom Ed White

(This assumes XFree86.) I've done it by editing XF86Config.
Try adding the 'power_saver' option to your Device section, i.e.:

Section "Device"
    Option     "power_saver"
EndSection

Then, set the shutdown times in the Screen section:

Section "Screen"
    # Monitor power management green params
    BlankTime 10
    SuspendTime 15
    Offtime 15
EndSection

That should do it, if the server and the hardware get along sufficiently
well. Good luck...:)

Lars Torben Wilson                     "Most people wouldn't know music if
student, Computer Science Dep't.        it came up and bit them on the ass."
University of Tampere, Finland                               - Frank Zappa

http://www.uta.fi/~cslawi

1. Monitor powersave and screen blanking modes

[...]

2. subprocess exits with status 2, and sh script stops

3. DPMS Monitor PowerSave Blanking

4. linux download unpacked??

5. Help!!! Monitor is going into the powersaving mode!!!

6. broken netra x1

7. Monitor powersaving mode under solaris 2.4

8. Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

9. Should I use Energy Saver mode or Screen blank?

10. Link terminal in ansi.sys mode gives blank screen

11. sreen blanking and monitor standby mode

12. redhat 7.3 trident 9680 acer 55l monitor = blank screen

13. X11 blanks screen to white, wearing out monitor