Kernel Panic with recompiled kernel

Post by Penn Markha » Sun, 08 Apr 2001 08:30:29

Hello,

I recently recompiled the 2.2.13 kernel on my firewall/router for my
home network.  The only option I changed from my previous kernel was the
one dealing with multiple serial ports.  After I installed the new
kernel and modules, ran lilo, and rebooted, I got a message saying this:

Kernel panic: kmem_cache_sizes_init:  Error creating caches In Swapper
task - not syncing

At this point, the machine stops and the floppy drive light stays lit.
Here are the system specs:

HP Vectra 5/60 VL2
24 MB RAM
850 MB HD
2 3C509 NIC's
SuSE 6.3 with Kernel 2.2.13

I had lilo set to boot this kernel by default without any delay at the
LILO: prompt, as I have always done.  When I set the timeout to a longer
value, (5 seconds) and then typed in 'linux' at the prompt, the kernel
worked fine.  If I let it timeout, I get the same error message as
above.  I also tried this with the SuSE default kernel.  Again, it
produced a kernel panic when I had it set to boot by default, but typing
in 'suse' works fine.  What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?  Thanks
in advance,

PENN

1. Kernel Panic after booting recompiled kernel

I know that there may have been numerous gripes concerning kernel
panic, but I have not found a similar problem to mine and I have been
unsuccessful in trying the solutions that others have suggested.

The error message that I receive after booting off of my newly
recompiled kernel is:

"Error, Cannot mount root fs on 21:06"
"Kernel Panic ... "

The error messages I have seen others post are usually for when root fs
cannot be mounted at 3:08 or something to the effect. I have tried
redirecting the root mount on the floppy to /mnt/hde6 which is the
mount for my root partition. I have actually even tried compiling the
kernel on another machine in which no changes were made and I still
receive the exact same error. I have even reinstalled everything and
still much to no avail. The two machines have the same board, abit be6.

Any suggestions?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Unexpected end of file

3. Kernel Panic after recompile

4. How to make sound card and CDROM ..

5. Kernel PANIC after recompile!

6. creating table of contents from troff

7. recompiling for SMP -> kernel panic

8. enscript install problems

9. Kernel Panic after recompiling

10. Kernel panic after Cyclades support recompile

11. help - kernel panic after recompile

12. Kernel Panic -no init found --even after recompile w/file system support

13. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel