Weird kb problem

Post by Alexi » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 06:56:20

I had this some time ago in I forget which distro-  either suse or mandrake.
As root all my keys were shifted around 2-3 places, so g would type d, m
would type b and so on.  Even the shift, control, return, function and caps
lock keys did the same, the whole kb was rearranged!  Eventually I either
reinstalled or changed distro as I was never able to locate the problem,
which occurred in X and in terminal mode.  The keymap was fine, and I did
not know where else to look.  I saw another post in this ng referring to a
kb problem, so does anyone know what was happening with mine?  If it helps I
have one of those shop's own brand keyboards with extra buttons (rather than
keys) for use in windows, but it has a chicony chip; I looked.  While on the
subject, does anyone know how I can get those extra buttons to work under
linux (mdk8.0)

tia, Alexis

Weird kb problem

Post by Swif » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:22:25

>  I had this some time ago in I forget which distro-  either suse or mandrake.
>  As root all my keys were shifted around 2-3 places, so g would type d, m
>  would type b and so on.  Even the shift, control, return, function and caps
>  lock keys did the same, the whole kb was rearranged!  Eventually I either
>  reinstalled or changed distro as I was never able to locate the problem,
>  which occurred in X and in terminal mode.  The keymap was fine

Maybe you looked to the wrong keymap? I've had users complaining because they
set the keymap to be2-latin1 (keymap frequently used in Belgium) but the
system still thought it was a qwerty-keymap.

The problem was that they've linked the default.kmap.gz (or whatever file
they thought it used) to be2-latin1.kmap.gz but didn't know the system read
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard wherein KEYTABLE was defined with
        KEYTABLE="us"

It could also be that your kb is showing signs of Creutzfeld-Jacob and
delivers the wrong scancodes... but this is most unlikely since the problem
didn't occur on other installs/windows.

Perhaps someone hacked your system and made a fool out of you?

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

1. smbclient is slow (9 KB/s) one way, fast (3000 KB/s) the other

I have an situation with a Win95 box and a computer running Red Hat Linux
5.2 (with kernel 2.2.4, if that makes a difference).  smbclient transfers
from the Wintendo proceed at about 3000K/s, but transfers to the Windows box
get about 9 K/s.  smbmount'ed shares have the same problem.  This is on a
single segment network with a LinkSys 10/100 hub in between.

I use smbclient like so:    smbclient //winpc/c -N

I've seen posts from other people with this same problem, but I've never
seen a response.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

2. problems with vga256 and Xega

3. Weird Ping, weird FTP, weird Telnet... HELP!!!

4. standard output

5. Weird, weird, weird issue ....

6. Setting up environment variables for CGI scripts run under apache

7. GS problem: dev=linux with 512 kB videoram

8. ATI Rage Fury, I need detailed describtion on how I get an ATI Rage Fury to work in Xfree86

9. Problems with Cyrix 486DLC40, KB repeat not settable, no X win

10. Linux, Laptop and Bluetooth KB and Mouse Problems, Need Help!

11. Web server problems outside LAN with pages above about 1.1 KB (browsers hang)

12. Weird, really weird???

13. Problem changing file permissions - a WEIRD problem!