Suspend/hibernate problem with Thinkpad 560

Suspend/hibernate problem with Thinkpad 560

Post by Xinhua Zh » Sat, 20 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a weird problem with my Thinkpad 560. I can suspend and then
resume it just *once* after rebooting it. But all subsequent suspend
requests will result in failures: "unable to enter requested state".

I'm running 2.2.14 kernel, apmd version 3.0final, PCMCIA package 3.1.13.
I've played with APM options in compiling kernels with no luck. Has
anyone else seen this problem before? I would appreciate any suggestion
you might have.

Thanks,

Xinhua

Gates Building, Room 416                phone: +1 650 723-9427
Stanford, CA 94305-9040                 fax:   +1 650 725-2588

1. Thinkpad 560 suspend/hibernate requires floppy

[Sending again since I sent it to the wrong linux-kernel addr before.]

I almost always run into trouble suspending or hibernating my Thinkpad
560.  On some boots, it works once only.  On others it works many
times and then stops (it always stops working if I put in a Zoom modem
card).  I've tried many different kernels, all with the same problem.

Now I follow a mix of advice that I got when I mentioned this problem
before on linux-kernel, and I can now suspend/hibernate whenever I
want.  Why does the procedure below fix the problem?  Let me know if
there are diagnostics that I can run to help track down this problem.

First, the advice:

From Alfred Ganz --

  In addition to the proper APM driver configuration, the critical
  element is that the Floppy Disk drive MUST BE configured as a module!

From Andrew Mitchell --

  attach the floppy disk drive
  Remove any floppies from the floppy drive.
  mount /mnt/floppy
  (it gives an error)
  bingo, you can now suspend!

I have the floppy driver as a module.  I don't follow Andrew
Mitchell's advice exactly (since I just dug it out), but instead
insert a random DOS-formatted floppy into the drive and do "cat <
/dev/fd0 > /dev/null" and interrupt it soon.  Then I'm golden.

System: IBM Thinkpad 560, bios v1.11, kernel 2.4.18 (RH's 2.4.18-4
kernel without the unneeded modules).

Relevant .config lines:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m

CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
# CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set

-Sanjoy
-

2. 3D Feature on SB16 PNP

3. SOLVED: Thinkpad A30 Suspend Hibernate dual-boot APM Problems

4. ipfwadm and socks

5. RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

6. Panasonic interface for cd-rom

7. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

8. end of data when doing SCSI reads in SVR4 driver?

9. APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

10. thinkpad 560 - problem with SCSI PCMCIA

11. Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

12. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

13. Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560