What File Am I Missing??

Post by Todd Steve » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

What file am I missing and where can I get it when I get the following
message from a make I ran on scotty from my Linux 2.0.0 (Slakware 3.1)
system:

cc -rdynamic  -o scotty scotty.o -L/usr/lib -ltcl -lieee  -ldl -lm
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
make: *** [scotty] Error 1

Thanks,

Todd Stevens

What File Am I Missing??

Post by Larry Kinge » Sat, 21 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> What file am I missing and where can I get it when I get the following
> message from a make I ran on scotty from my Linux 2.0.0 (Slakware 3.1)
> system:

> cc -rdynamic  -o scotty scotty.o -L/usr/lib -ltcl -lieee  -ldl -lm
> /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scotty] Error 1

libdl.so.1.X.Y wher X and Y are a couple numbers.  Mine is in /lib,
run ldconfig after installing.

--

Dept of Computer Science        http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~kingery
University of Iowa,

Post by John Gluc » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> What file am I missing and where can I get it when I get the following
> message from a make I ran on scotty from my Linux 2.0.0 (Slakware 3.1)
> system:

> cc -rdynamic  -o scotty scotty.o -L/usr/lib -ltcl -lieee  -ldl -lm
> /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scotty] Error 1

> Thanks,

> Todd Stevens

Hi

It is possible that you aren't missing any files. The compiler command
line you post says the following:
link scotty.o to make an output file called scotty with shareable
library support. Use libraries you will find in /usr/lib (-L/usr/lib).
the namee of the libraries are libtcl (-ltcl) libieee (-liee) libdl
(-ldl) libm (-lm).

The second line is the linker (ld) complaining. The third line is make
passing on the error from ld.

The first step is to try and find out if the file exists elsewhere on
your system. You can do this with the following command:

        find / -name libdl*
if anyfile that starts with libdl exists anywhere on your disk its path
will be printed.

If it's found you have 2 choices:

1 - make a softlink from /usr/lib to where the file is. Assuming that
the path is /gizmo/lib/libdl.so , you would do the following:
        ln -s /gizmo/lib/libdl.so /usr/lib/libdl.so
then try running make again, it should work now

2 - Edit your ldconfig.conf file and add the following line (agian the
same assumption holds)
        /gizmo/lib
and then run ldconfig

There is also the possiblity that you upgraded something on your system
and the problem is caused by something broken. You neglected to give any
pertinent info on the various software items you have installed.

Regards

John Gluck

Post by Ian Camer » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>What file am I missing and where can I get it when I get the following
>message from a make I ran on scotty from my Linux 2.0.0 (Slakware 3.1)
>system:

>cc -rdynamic  -o scotty scotty.o -L/usr/lib -ltcl -lieee  -ldl -lm
>/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -ldl: No such file or directory
>make: *** [scotty] Error 1

Try this:

Have a look in your /lib for libdl.so.x.x.x and pick the latest version
Remove '-ldl' from the Makefile
Replace it with '-L/lib /lib/libdl.so.x.x.x'

It has worked for me ! - Strictly speaking, I doubt that you should need the
-L/lib, but it doesn't do any harm...

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian.

1. i am getting the error: gmon.out file is missing call-graph data..

Hi,

        I have written a small programme with one single printf statement.
and exercising the gprof..

gprof: gmon.out file is missing call-graph data
sh-2.04# gcc -pg t2.c
sh-2.04# a.out
this is a test
sh-2.04# gprof a.out gmon.out
gprof: gmon.out file is missing call-graph data
i gave -pg option to gcc for compilation and ran the a.out.
when i am trying out the gprof, i could't get the profiling outfile..
i was suffering with the
above error....

could any one help me out and also while fiddling i observed that,
gmon.out is not in the a.out format.

thanks for help,
srinivas.

2. Automating adding, deleting and modifying user accounts...

3. I am missing two files needed for man

4. Network booting

5. Am missing cnv2rw file in dBMan V distrib

6. How to increase the priority of process

7. libpng.so.3 - missing library file missing

8. Question on concatenating PostScript files

9. I am missing something simple

10. sensors - what am I missing?

11. sockets: what am I missing?

12. Am I missing something with the 5.0 ISO images?

13. Am I missing some news or did NetBSD 1.1 not get announced?