PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

Post by Gisbert Berge » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for a PCMCIA-SCSI Adaptor for useage under linux.
I've found that the adaptec 1450 is not very expensive, and I've
heard, that it will work with linux.]
Has anybody experiences with a PCMCIA SCSI adaptor? Which you would
recommend? Any known problems? I use kernel 2.0.30 and PCMCIA card
services 2.9.5 is it enough or higher versions needed?

thank you in advance.

Gisbert

Post by Stephan Pf » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: I'm looking for a PCMCIA-SCSI Adaptor for useage under linux.
: I've found that the adaptec 1450 is not very expensive, and I've
: heard, that it will work with linux.]
: Has anybody experiences with a PCMCIA SCSI adaptor? Which you would
: recommend? Any known problems? I use kernel 2.0.30 and PCMCIA card
: services 2.9.5 is it enough or higher versions needed?

Check the linux PCMCIA page at:

  http://hyper.stanford.edu/HyperNews/get/pcmcia/home.html

I am happy with my card, but this one is not build any more.

Stephan

Post by Wm. Randolph U Frankl » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

writes:

  > I'm looking for a PCMCIA-SCSI Adaptor for useage under linux.

Don't get the Iomega Jaz card!  Here's my sorry tale:

SUMMARY:

I have a Thinkpad laptop with an Iomega Jaz drive with Iomega's
SCSI adapter.  The Jaz drive works under Windows 95, for me, but
is useless, and dangerous, in Linux.  I'm not trying to boot from
it, but just to use the Jaz as a second disk.

SYSTEM DETAILS:

-   IBM Thinkpad 755CD
-   50/75 MHz Pentium
-   24 MB memory
-   Linux 2.0.30
-   pcmcia-cs-2.9.7
-   Iomega Jaz drive
-   Iomega Jaz pcmcia to fast scsi II adapter card

PROBLEM DETAILS:

- Everything works fine for me under Win95.  (However one
  correspondent tells me that others have had major problems with
  Jaz drives under Win95.

- On booting Linux, the pcmcia package recognizes the drive as an
  Adaptec APA-1460 slimSCSI and loads the aha152x driver.

- Initially, the drive appears to work.  I can mount a disk,
  format it, do 'ls', and copy small files.

- However, I/O-intensive operations will cause the following error
  to be repeated continuously:

        Aiee: scheduling in interrupt 00123d49

  Sometimes the address is different. The crash address is mostly
  in routine __wait_on_super.  mke2fs caused a crash apparently in
  get_request_wait.

- Operations that cause this include:

  - fsck -c.   (Fsck w/o the '-c', it works.)
  - du .   This lists some dirs and then crashes.
  - copying a large file.
  - halting the system.

  The first two of these are completely repeatable.  The machine
  crashes every time that I try them.  Sometimes, a partition on
  my internal drive, which is not even on the SCSI bus, gets
  damaged.  One time, over 2000 inodes were trashed.  They were
  files that had not been opened since the system was booted, in
  directories that were not open.

- This is such a hard crash that I always have to depower the
  laptop to reset it.  C-A-Del and the "on/off" switch are useless.

- Sometimes, altho I could copy a large (24MB) file to the drive
  w/o any error messages, trying to read the file would always cause
  an I/O error at the same place.

- Note that this is not the problem reported by some others of the
  drive not being recognized, perhaps because of a unit number
  problem.  My system recognizes the drive just fine.

STARTUP MESSAGES

Here are the relevant messages from /var/log/messages when I boot
the machine.

   kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 2.9.7
   kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
   kernel:   Intel i82365sl B step at 0x3e0, 2 sockets
   kernel:     host opts: none
   kernel:     irq mask (default) = 0x0eb8, status change on irq 11
   cardmgr[129]: starting, version is 2.9.7
   cardmgr[129]: watching 2 sockets
   kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x03ff: excluding 0x100-0x107 0x200-0x207 0x3b8-0x3e7
   kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a20-0x0a27: clean.
   kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
   cardmgr[129]: initializing socket 0
   cardmgr[129]: socket 0: Adaptec APA-1460 SlimSCSI
   cardmgr[129]: executing: 'insmod /lib/modules/2.0.30/pcmcia/aha152x_cs.o'
   kernel: aha152x: processing commandline:
   kernel: aha152x: PCMCIA setup
   kernel: aha152x: invalid line (controller=1)
   kernel: ok
   kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
   kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
   kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
   kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
   kernel: scsi : 1 host.
   kernel:   Vendor: iomega    Model: jaz 1GB           Rev: H^72
   kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
   kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2091050 [1021 MB] [1.0 GB]
   kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
   kernel:  sda: sda1
   cardmgr[129]: executing: './scsi start sda'
   cardmgr[129]: initializing socket 1

CHANGES TRIED:

None of the following experiments helped:

- Setting the Jaz drive definitely to terminate the SCSI chain,
  rather than leaving it on auto.
- Changing the IRQ from 5 to 9.
- Removing the Ethernet card.
- Recompiling the kernel as a 386 instead of 586.
- Editing aha152x.h to lower the max queue from 7 to 3.
- Upgrading pcmcia-cs from 2.9.6 to 2.9.7.
- Making 256MB partitions instead of one 1GB partition.
- Using 2.0.29 instead of 2.0.30.

I now trying to upgrade to Linux 2.1.51, altho nothing in its
documentation appears relevant to this bug.

SEARCHES DONE:

I've spent more than a fulltime week: asking local people, doing
web searches, reading docs, and posting questions.

All I've learned is the Adaptec doesn't release enough info to
make writing drivers easy.  Nevertheless, the list of supported
Linux HW still lists Adaptec.

POSSIBLE CAUSE:

It seems that Linux might be trying to swap out the driver while
it is waiting on an interrupt.  This may be because the card is
too fast for the system, so that messages are lost when I/O
activity is hi.

HELP?

HELP anyone?  This is starting to make me prefer Win95 to Linux.
Unix is nice; I first used it in the 1970s, and have done serious
Unix system administration since 1985, but this situation is
totally impossible.  I have other work to do.

The pcmcia list of supported cards,
ftp://hyper.stanford.edu/pub/pcmcia/SUPPORTED.CARDS, dated 9-9-97,
lists the 1460 as a supported card, so some people must be using
it successfully.  If you are one of them, could you please tell me
your config?

I would be willing to detune the driver by 50% if that made it
work.  In fact, I've looked at various drivers' code, some of
which do this, but don't see how for this driver.

This card appears to work for some people.  What's different?

Thanks.

--- Wm. Randolph U Franklin, WRFUSE at MAB.ECSE.RPI.DELETETHIS.EDU

1. Summarizing: PCMCIA SCSI-Adaptor recommended for linux?

So I have decided to buy the Adaptec APA 1460 SlimSCSI and it works
fine (I used SCSI CD-Writer, CD-ROM and Scanner until now). So I think
that the Iomega Jaz card is not real a APA-1460 SlimSCSI as it will be
detected. Maybe this is the reason for the problems of Randolph.
I can recommend now the real APA 1460 SlimSCSI from Adapaptec too.

2. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

3. recommended wireless pcmcia adapter/ access points

4. WANTED: UK unix person ..

5. can anyone recommend a PCMCIA adapter...

6. need help setting up boot partition

7. Recommended PCMCIA ethernet adapter ?

8. rc.local file

9. Linux & PCMCIA SCSI Adapters for a Laptop

10. Supported PCMCIA SCSI adaptor for Linux on Compaq Concerto notebook

11. recommend a good SCSI adapter

12. recommended PCI SCSI adapter

13. Recommend a low-end SCSI adapter?