KDE opens more and more Xterms each time!

KDE opens more and more Xterms each time!

Post by Marco Tephlan » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Each time I launch X, I have more and more xterms and Xclocks!
E.g I'll have one xterm and one xclock, if I shut down X, and restart it
then I'll have two xterms and two xclocks!  How can I stop this!  It
appears to be mandatory to start at least one xterm each time X starts.

--
Marco

Post by Hans Wolte » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:Each time I launch X, I have more and more xterms and Xclocks!
:E.g I'll have one xterm and one xclock, if I shut down X, and restart it
:then I'll have two xterms and two xclocks!  How can I stop this!  It
:appears to be mandatory to start at least one xterm each time X starts.
:
Hi Marco,

Had this same problem with WM. I opened a console and killed them all. Then
closed WM and the problem was gone

Hans

--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

Post by Donn Mille » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Each time I launch X, I have more and more xterms and Xclocks!
> E.g I'll have one xterm and one xclock, if I shut down X, and restart it
> then I'll have two xterms and two xclocks!  How can I stop this!  It
> appears to be mandatory to start at least one xterm each time X starts.

Yep -- I had the same problem.  I wonder where all those xterms were coming
from?  I already had xterms and one xclock specified in my xinitrc file.  I
was up to my ears in xterms! :)

Donn

Post by walt » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> > Each time I launch X, I have more and more xterms and Xclocks!
> > E.g I'll have one xterm and one xclock, if I shut down X, and restart it
> > then I'll have two xterms and two xclocks!  How can I stop this!  It
> > appears to be mandatory to start at least one xterm each time X starts.

> Yep -- I had the same problem.  I wonder where all those xterms were coming
> from?  I already had xterms and one xclock specified in my xinitrc file.  I
> was up to my ears in xterms! :)

> Donn

Well Donn, I, for one, would really appreciate knowing what you did to
solve your problem. Being a newbie, I will benefit from any fixit
advice...walt

Post by Tarc » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>> Each time I launch X, I have more and more xterms and Xclocks!  E.g
>> I'll have one xterm and one xclock, if I shut down X, and restart
>> it then I'll have two xterms and two xclocks!  How can I stop this!
>> It appears to be mandatory to start at least one xterm each time X
>> starts.

> Yep -- I had the same problem.  I wonder where all those xterms were
> coming from?  I already had xterms and one xclock specified in my
> xinitrc file.  I was up to my ears in xterms! :)

This is the problem. IIRC Kde does "session management", it remembers
what apps  you had running when you exit and tries to restart them
again.  Unfortunately it doesn't pay any heed to the fact that the
user might want to start the apps from something more flexible, like
the .xinitrc file, so an xterm and xclock starts from that, then KDE
starts, remembers that you had some xterms and xclocks running, and
starts them.  When you shut down, it remembers how many you had and
decides to start them again when you next re-enter KDE.

Just switch off session management and remember that Windows95 is the
model for KDE.

--
From the keyboard of Tarcus himself, running Linux in the UK.
                 -- There are no facts, only opinions --

Post by Marco Tephlan » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> This is the problem. IIRC Kde does "session management", it remembers
> what apps  you had running when you exit and tries to restart them
> again.  Unfortunately it doesn't pay any heed to the fact that the
> user might want to start the apps from something more flexible, like
> the .xinitrc file, so an xterm and xclock starts from that, then KDE
> starts, remembers that you had some xterms and xclocks running, and
> starts them.  When you shut down, it remembers how many you had and
> decides to start them again when you next re-enter KDE.

> Just switch off session management and remember that Windows95 is the
> model for KDE.

I tried removing the xterm and xclock from the xinitrc file but then kde
wont start at all!
Thanks for the info,  how do you switch off session management (my KDE
installation that SuSe
installed seems broken as none of the KDE help files work!)

Cheers
--
Marco

Post by Rick Walk » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

: > This is the problem. IIRC Kde does "session management", it remembers
: > what apps  you had running when you exit and tries to restart them
: > again.  Unfortunately it doesn't pay any heed to the fact that the
: > user might want to start the apps from something more flexible, like
: > the .xinitrc file, so an xterm and xclock starts from that, then KDE
: > starts, remembers that you had some xterms and xclocks running, and
: > starts them.  When you shut down, it remembers how many you had and
: > decides to start them again when you next re-enter KDE.
: >
: > Just switch off session management and remember that Windows95 is the
: > model for KDE.

: I tried removing the xterm and xclock from the xinitrc file but then kde
: wont start at all!
: Thanks for the info,  how do you switch off session management (my KDE
: installation that SuSe
: installed seems broken as none of the KDE help files work!)

As previously mentioned, KDE will restart all apps currently
running when KDE is shutdown.  To live with this feature
you must remove all invocations from your .xinitrc file.

If you want to turn off session management, KDE 1.2 (IIRC) has a dialog
where you can give regular expressions based on app-name, etc., to
prevent certain classes of apps from getting restarted.   You can use
this for any subset of apps, so you can let KDE manage your xosview,
kwm, khelp, etc., while ignoring terminal apps (xterm, rxvt, kvt).

You have to make a choice of style here.  Using session management with
.xinitrc-started progs is a mess.  Hopefully, now that you know what's
going on, you can find a nice compromise for yourself.

Best regards,
--
Rick Walker

Post by Marco Tephlan » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> You have to make a choice of style here.  Using session management with
> .xinitrc-started progs is a mess.  Hopefully, now that you know what's
> going on, you can find a nice compromise for yourself.

> Best regards,
> --
> Rick Walker

Cheers Rick
--
Marco

1. Ytree Error opening terminal: xterm.Error opening terminal: xterm.

I installed ytree and got this error message:
Error opening terminal: xterm. Any idea's? The default installation is
linux, with nurses dependency (which I have). I modified the ytree.conf,
then copied it to both /root & /home directories. It failed to run in both
X and shell envirnments, with the same error message. I tried several
global TERM=bla...bla.. with no help.

I still use Xtree under dos and having ytree working would be a great
tool for my limited CLI skills.

TIA..

ezrsch                                    __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____

                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

2. Unix man help

3. Open an xterm at kde start up in desktop N°3

4. TV viewer program..

5. xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

6. Networking 10base2 continued

7. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

8. Problem on NFS setup

9. How Cron job open Xterm window and display outputs to this xterm?

10. can you open an xterm & run a subroutine in that xterm?

11. fvwm locking open xterm opening

12. Matrox Mystique ands X.