New Motherboard

Post by linuxro.. » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 07:23:34

Probably a thumb question:
Do I have to reinstall linux after a motherboard-change?

TIA

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

New Motherboard

Post by <j.. » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 07:45:38

>Probably a thumb question:
>Do I have to reinstall linux after a motherboard-change?

Unless you are switching from ix86 to Alpha or something I doubt
you will need to do more then plug in the HD.

You might want to recompile the kernel for the right chipsets though.

New Motherboard

Post by friedhelm.mehn.. » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 20:16:19

: Probably a thumb question:
: Do I have to reinstall linux after a motherboard-change?

Depends, where the differences are. :-)
Usualy not.

You have to make some severe changes to your configuration.
Keep a rescue disk handy.

Happy Xmas,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

New Motherboard

Post by John Scudde » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:21:14

Last October I upgraded my 266mHz Pentium to a 700mHz Athlon.  Of course
a new motherboard was needed.  Linux booted up fine, recognizing the new
motherboard features with no complaints.  The only thing that I would
have liked to do was to be able to increase my swap drive from 128M to
256M.  The new motherboard has 128M ram instead of 64M and I think the
swap drive should be twice the installed ram.

John

Quote:> Probably a thumb question:
> Do I have to reinstall linux after a motherboard-change?

> TIA

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

New Motherboard

Post by John Hasle » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:09:27

Quote:John Scudder writes:
> The new motherboard has 128M ram instead of 64M and I think the swap
> drive should be twice the installed ram.

That was true on a different OS long ago.  Now, with Linux, it's a myth.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

1. New motherboard ... New install ?

Hi,

I have a very slow (166MHz) motherboard and thought it was about time I
got a faster one.
The question is now, can I just replace the motherboard ?
Will Linux reconfigure my current installation without destroying it?
... or should I put a fresh Linux install and start all over again ?

Note, I have a dual boot configuration with Win98.
Can Windows handle this too ?

Rolf

2. Apache "handler" question

3. New motherboard for Linux

4. enlightenment-0_15_5-100 installation tips?

5. LILO problems w/new motherboard

6. I am serious.

7. New motherboard + graphics + memory = less speed

8. Cron difficulties

9. New motherboard/processor

10. New Motherboard

11. would a new motherboard help?

12. new motherboard woes, me too

13. New Motherboard Problem Triton II PCI IDE not probed correctly.