broken mail delivery smail

Post by antho » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am not receiving my mail all of a sudden.
I've been running stock smail as bundle in Yggdrasil
distribution for some time now and never had this
problem.
All mail comming in arrives fine in the directory
/var/spool/smail/input but is not delivered from there.
/var/spool/smail/log/logfile shows the following messages

01/07/97 22:16:48: bind() failed: Address already in use

01/06/97 23:33:47: [m0vgRS5-000V65C] defer_message: error linking /var/spool/smail/input/0vgRS5-000V65C to error/(null): Permission denied

01/06/97 23:34:23: bind() failed: Address already in use
. .
. .
. .
. .
|        protocol: smtp
|         program: sendmail

|            size: 4454 bytes

01/07/97 21:53:16: [m0vhqwq-000V6LC] received

|            host: zebra.com [165.192.40.87]
|        protocol: smtp
|         program: sendmail

|            size: 2420 bytes

01/07/97 21:53:17: [m0vhqws-000V6MC] received

|            host: zebra.com [165.192.40.87]
|        protocol: smtp
|         program: sendmail

|            size: 4466 bytes

Any suggestions would be apreciated.
--

            & System Admin

broken mail delivery smail

Post by Friedhelm Mehne » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I am not receiving my mail all of a sudden.
: All mail comming in arrives fine in the directory
: /var/spool/smail/input but is not delivered from there.
: /var/spool/smail/log/logfile shows the following messages
:

: ... deferred: (ERR_134) transport local: failed to lock mailbox
:
This happens when a user is reading his mail and therefore has
opend his mailbox, while smail is trying to deliver the message.
Make shure nobody has opend the mailbox-file and then try the
"runq" command, which should be a link to smail.
If this doesn't help, it's possible the permissions on the
mailbox-file somehow got screwed up. I can't help you with how
they should be, as smail changes them to lock the
mailbox-file to prevent to have it openend twice. Once by
smail and once by the user reading it. I also remember that
there have been some buggy versions of smail around that did
have problems with exactly this.
Also it may be necessary to manual delete a file within the
retry-subdirectory of smail, which keeps it from retrying.
Sorry for not beeing more precise, but from the top of my
head I don't remember where the files are located.
Basicly try messing with the permissions on the mailbox-file
and directory, delete the file in the retry-directory and
issue command "runq" until it gets delivered.
Sometimes just deleting the mailbox-file helps, but you
loose all messages received previously.
You may now have problems reading it, if you get the
permissions wrong. Try to make them the same then the
mailbox-file of another user that has no problems.

This is how the permissinons are currently on my system:

drwxrwxr-x   2 root     mail         1024 Jan 13 12:02 mail/

-rw-r-----   1 dan      mail            0 Dec 28 19:09 dan
-rw-------   1 fm       mail        76449 Jan 13 02:11 fm
-rw-r-----   1 root     mail            0 Dec 29 14:56 root

These files are in /var/spool/mail.
See the difference on fm's mailbox, since it's openend by
the mail-reader, as I'm writing this message right now.
Take these with a grain of salt. This may be setup
differently on your system.
Good Luck

Friedhelm

--
"whitespace.de" is a bogus address. I'm only temporary connectet
to the internet via a slow ppp link.

1. Mail delivery to other than /usr/spool/mail/<user>

Can sendmail/bellmail/mail be configured to put mail into a users home
directory (in a file called say .newmail), in any way short of rewritting
bellmail?

The problem that we want to solve is: temporary unavailability of users
home directories on our mail server -a different machine than the file
server- so the mailserver will hold the mail until the users home
directory (and hence any .forward file) becomes available again.  Doing
this will also remove 1 filesystem from the NFS sea (/var/spool/mail).
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (310)-825-8614

"Non, je ne regrette rien"--1er RE de Para 1963

2. "cd file.zip" instead of "unzip file.zip"?

3. How can I check mail delivery is success when using other mail server inside ISP?

4. Tool to monitor open network connections?

5. Mail Transport Agent and Mail Delivery Agent

6. Year 2000 compliant

7. Queue-R-Mail-HOWTO 1.01 (hold Remote Mail for later delivery)

8. problem w/ openwindows on linux

9. Smail and all smtp delivery through gateway

10. smail 3.1.29.1 delivery problems

11. e-mail delivery not working (smail)

12. Local delivery with smail??

13. smail on linux -- deferred delivery to ISP