POSIX, what the heck...???

Post by Hendri » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys,

What the heck is POSIX...???  What does it stand for, and what does it
mean...???  I've seen the reference to POSIX Compliance, but I still
have no idea what it is...   Any information will be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks,
Trevor...
----------------------
That's alright, I still got my guitar...

POSIX, what the heck...???

Post by Tom » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi

POSIX means Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX.

There is a short description on http://www.whatis.com/posix.htm.

Tom

Quote:> Hi guys,

> What the heck is POSIX...???  What does it stand for, and what does it
> mean...???  I've seen the reference to POSIX Compliance, but I still
> have no idea what it is...   Any information will be greatly
> appreciated...

> Thanks,
> Trevor...
> ----------------------
> That's alright, I still got my guitar...

POSIX, what the heck...???

Post by Bursc » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Trevor,

IMO POSIX is nothing else than (one of ;-) the standard shell(s) of
UNIX-systems....AFAIK HP-UX uses the POSIX-shell as standard....actually it
isnt very different from the bash apart from some nuances. Please see "man
sh"

regards,
Bursch

One picture kills more bandwidth
 than a thousand words

Quote:> Hi guys,

> What the heck is POSIX...???  What does it stand for, and what does it
> mean...???  I've seen the reference to POSIX Compliance, but I still
> have no idea what it is...   Any information will be greatly
> appreciated...

> Thanks,
> Trevor...
> ----------------------
> That's alright, I still got my guitar...

POSIX, what the heck...???

Post by Craig Andrew » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

POSIX is a standard, like ANSI. If something is POSIX compliant, it means
that it conforms to the standards set by the committee who created the
standard.

Many shells (bash and sh included) are also POSIX compliant.

POSIX stands for Portable Operating System Interface. More info can be found
at http://www.whatis.com/posix.htm

Hope this helps

Craig

Post by Doc Shiple » Sat, 24 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Trevor,

> IMO POSIX is nothing else than (one of ;-) the standard shell(s) of
> UNIX-systems....AFAIK HP-UX uses the POSIX-shell as standard....actually it
> isnt very different from the bash apart from some nuances. Please see "man
> sh"

 POSIX is "Portable Operating System Interface" with the X signifying
UniX influence. POSIX is a set of standards for building OS' and
applications, not an application itself. Several Unix shells are POSIX
compliant.
 POSIX defines standards for everything from character sets to kernel
threading & queueing.

--
 Doc Shipley
   Network Stuff

POSIX, what the heck...???

Post by Bob Nelso » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> POSIX means Portable Operating System Interface for UNIX.
> There is a short description on http://www.whatis.com/posix.htm.

...and it was none other than Richard Stallman who came up with
the acronym.

1. redhat glibc dist - where the heck is posix lib?

Hi,

I posted this a while ago, someone answered but the
messages had gone stale on my news server so I didn't
get to see it and I'm stil curious.. I'd appreciate if you
could copy my email if you know the answer...

I was trying to build the latest version of perl on
my redhat i386 7.0 system.  I had applied all the latest
security updates to it and when I tried to configure perl,
it said it couldn't fine libposix and that I had a big problem

I searched around for it and found it under

/usr/i386-gibc21-linux/lib

copied it into /usr/lib

and then the perl build was happy... but I am unclear what
this dir tree is for???  When I applied the RedHat security
updates, it did update my glibc to 2.2-12... I am no expert about how
rpm really works, so I'm not sure if this is left over from the
old version of glibc or what, but then why isn't libposix with the
new version? I though posix was kinda central to the whole thing...

Any insight into this would be appreciated...

Thanks

Bill

2. using sed to move parts of text

3. what's difference between Posix and non-posix

4. x86 automatic boot?

5. POSIX newbie: POSIX function calls

6. Announce events and advertise on the web for free.

7. POSIX system call interface and POSIX standard: questions

8. Dynamite 128

9. FAQ Question 4.1 in POSIX: How do you get the key value via POSIX?

10. posix message queues and other posix functions

11. where the double-heck is the source for "in.rlogind" ???

12. Fortunes (or whatever the heck they are :)

13. Where the heck is redhat hiding their rpm's?