Windoze?

Post by Ryan » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 21:55:56

Hey!

Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to
load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
get a response. By the way, I'm not behind a firewall...

Ryan

Windoze?

Post by mst » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 22:50:16

> Hey!

> Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to
> load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> get a response. By the way, I'm not behind a firewall...

> Ryan

Both work just fine for me. Netscape 4.76 on Slackware-current.

MST

Windoze?

Post by Swif » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:05:53

> Both work just fine for me. Netscape 4.76 on Slackware-current.

Works for me too. Links 0.95.

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

Windoze?

Post by Eirik Newt » Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:56:23

> load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> get a response.

They both look fine with Opera 5 on my RH 7 system. In fact, I've yet to
come across a server that didn't load with Opera. I've seen plenty where
it's obvious that the designer used M$ FrontPage without thinking, though.

Regards,

Eirik Newth

---

The Seven site: http://newth.net/psion7

Windoze?

Post by Greg Wol » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 01:43:17

> says...

> >  I've seen plenty where
> > it's obvious that the designer used M$ FrontPage without thinking, though.

> Does anyone think when using Front Page? A bit of thought would send the
> user off looking for a *good* code generator (assuming here is such a
> thing) - or banging it out, line by line.

> All code generators leave you with HTML pages that
> 1. have some * bug waiting to look ugly on somebody else's browser
> 2. are pure hell to fix unless you have the same generator, same
> version, same platform, same everything as the original developer did
> when generating the page.

> HTML generators dumb down the craft of web design while creating a whole
> new set of problems. They are a scourge upon the Internet. Front Page is
> worse than the others in that every FP-generated page looks as
> amateurish as all the other FP-generated pages everywhere in the world.

> Friends don't let friends use Front Page, and they discourage them from
> using the other generators (Dreamweaver comes to mind).
> </rant>

And don't get me started on Flash......

--
Greg Wolf
"What fools, we, who in our darkness failed to seek out

Windoze?

Post by Greg Wol » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 01:39:56

says...

Quote:>  I've seen plenty where

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 02:37:33

> Hey!

> Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to
> load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> get a response. By the way, I'm not behind a firewall...

> Ryan

Both URL work fine using Netscrap-Crashicator 4.74 or lynx.

Michael Heiming

Windoze?

Post by Francois Labrequ » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:26:26

> > load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> > www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> > receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> > get a response.

> They both look fine with Opera 5 on my RH 7 system. In fact, I've yet to
> come across a server that didn't load with Opera. I've seen plenty where
> it's obvious that the designer used M$ FrontPage without thinking, though.

I've had a similar problem to the one experienced by the OP, and unless
I'm grossly mistaken, www.gtk.org (IIRC, it was one of the sites that
didn't work) is not done with Frontpage.

It turned out to be that the hostname I had given my machine did not
match the one in our DNS and some pages wouldn't load because of that.
As soon as I renamed my machine properly, everything started working.
It's funny that a Windows machine using the same IP address would be
able to load these pages no matter what hostname I gave it.  I guess
Nestcape for Windows and for Linux use different mechanisms to get the
hostname of the machine they're running on.

--
Francois Labreque | It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it
    flabreque     | is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,

   videotron.ca   | warning, it is by caffeine alone I set my mind in
                  | motion.
                               - Stolen from Badger's .sig file

Windoze?

Post by KW » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 04:35:53

Have you recompiled the kernel, and if you did, did you enable ECN (explicit
congestion notification)  If so...
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

and try again

I nearly went nuts trying to figure out why my winblows box that is behind my
machine could see some site but my own box that was doing the masquerading
couldn't.  ECN was the culprit...

> Hey!

> Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to load them
> with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try www.oetker.de for
> example... there's a connection, but I don't receive any data. Or at
> www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't get a response. By the way, I'm not
> behind a firewall...

> Ryan

Windoze?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 10:54:04

> Hey!

> Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to
> load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> get a response. By the way, I'm not behind a firewall...

> Ryan

Both pages load OK with konqueror from KDE-2.1.1, java and javascript both
turned off so a bit of content is missing.  Running on RH-7.1.

Windoze?

Post by Ryan » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 20:51:34

> Have you recompiled the kernel, and if you did, did you enable ECN
> (explicit
> congestion notification)  If so...
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

> and try again

> I nearly went nuts trying to figure out why my winblows box that is
> behind my machine could see some site but my own box that was doing
> the masquerading
> couldn't.  ECN was the culprit...

I did recompile my kernel, but I had lost the .config file, so I
wasn't sure about it. I got the 2.4.5 version and disabled ECN,
but that didn't help...

Ryan

Windoze?

Post by Ryan » Sun, 01 Jul 2001 20:49:54

> Hey!

> Can anyone tell me why some servers don't respond when I try to
> load them with Linux (of course they do when I use 'Doze). Try
> www.oetker.de for example... there's a connection, but I don't
> receive any data. Or at www.ltu.de I send the request, but don't
> get a response. By the way, I'm not behind a firewall...

> Ryan

Hmm, so if it works for everybody else, something with my box
has to be wrong. I tried all browsers I could get (Netscrap,
Mozilla, Opera, Konqueror, lynx, even wget) but it didn't work.
Thanks anyways.

Ryan

1. Windoze? What Windoze?

Last night I decided my "workstation" (386dx-33, Linux .99pl7A) was
ready for real work...

I slept like a baby :^). Cheers, all.

Nick

p.s. As I mentioned above, I'm running .99pl7A, SoundBlaster support*
and mount patches in kernel, 8 megs RAM, two 2efs and one swap
partition (across two hard drives), X on a Trident 8900C, and okay
output from my Panasonic KX-P1123 (PostScript!). No real problems so
far... Many, many thanks to everyone who made this "revolution"
possible.

* Can anyone point me in the direction of something that will play
.wav or .voc files?
--
|  Nick Vargish       |
|  SURAnet Operations |   Who needs a fancy .signature when I have all this?

2. Work-around for stdin->_cnt?

3. Installing Windoze or linux first....<-reinstalling windoze

4. GNU Pthread STL String problem

5. Handspring sync to Linux vs CLIE to Windoze -> Linux 1 Windoze 10

6. Linux on HP Pavillion -- Non-Standard Video

7. How to boot windoze on an ATA100 drive ?

8. Why doesn't poweroff work?

9. Q: NCR810+SCSI hangs when reboting after windoze session

10. Burning a Red Hat 5.1 CD under Windoze

11. windoze 9x, what a piece of shit!

12. Is Windoze 3.11 pre-emptive?

13. DAMN WINDOZE!! Triggering ppp -auto w/dns lookups...