looking for backup software

Post by Wen-Yen Li » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to setup automatic backup process for our company's servers. I
was trying to use "dump" for incremental dump, but it seems that it only
work on a single EXT2 filesystem. I need to dump multiple file systems
(includes, NFS and EXT2) into one tape.

I will appreciate any recommendation!!

Regards,

Wen-Yen Lin
Fastrack Information Inc.,
16 S. Oakland Ave., Suite#216
Pasadena, CA 91101
TEL:(626)449-8237
FAX:(626)449-7271

looking for backup software

Post by Carl Benso » Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm using Arkeia to backup a mix of Linux and RS/6000 clients
to a Linux server. Arkeia is commercial software (i.e. it costs
money), and it's client/server based.

It is very fast, even over 10 MBps ethernet. It's very slick
software, and it has a steep learning curve. I'm still not over
all the setup problems.

However, when it does what I ask, it does it very well. Also,
the restore feature is especially handy compared to previous
software I have used (DallasTools aka FlashNet).

I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Their URL is

http://www.arkeia.com

You can get a free trial version. There is an NT client, and
the server can be Linux, Unix, or NT.

--CarlB

Try bru ( http://www.bru.com )  It does multiple filesystems. . .

--
Sanjay

Windows has detected that a gnat has farted near your computer.
                            Press any key to reboot.

1. Looking for Backup Software Recommendations

We're about to set up a new Sparcserver 1000E and we need to back it up.
We anticipate this machine is going to have about 80Gb or more on it that
will need to be backed up.

We are currently a Legato NetWorker shop where we backup several clients to
another Sparcserver 1000.  There are a *lot* of things that I find really
annoying about Legato and I'd love to find something else that does the
important things well and is cost-competitve with Legato.  We're going to
have to buy another NetWorker server and another jukebox module for this
machine which Legato charges big $$$ for so if we could find something else
that works well, now might be the time to try it out.

The key factors for us are:

1) Should be able to backup 80Gb or more.
2) Should be able to backup to a jukebox.
3) Should be able to recover fairly quickly from a catastrophic failure.
4) Should do its own tape management.
5) Should be cost-competitive with Legato.

We've already purchased an Exabyte stacker (can't remember the model, but
it's one of them fancy new-fangled ones that has LED readouts and high-density
8mm tapes).

Any recommendations/experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-mark frost

2. SuSE 6.0 + Mail + IMAP + OutlookExpress

3. Is anyone still looking for backup software

4. Help - setup for Telnet client on specific port

5. Looking For Free graphical Backup Software

6. File Description under Apache 1.3.x

7. allow and Satisfy directives - what am I doing wrong?

8. Looking for suggestions for archival, backup and recovery software

9. Looking UPS Battery Backup with software for Linux

10. I am looking for remote backup software in linux

11. Help - Looking For Backup Scripts - Backup 1.0 Problems

12. Looking for software version tracking software