Help changing video d

Post by NEWS » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

>As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
>card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
>How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
>Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
>Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
>Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
>Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
>out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
>startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
>work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
>evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
>for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
>first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
>truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Do you mean you see strange characters instead of the normal text?

After you get back to text mode, try typing in - very carefully
(since you cant see what you're doing):

    echo ^V^O <enter>

where the ^V is a Ctrl-Vm the ^O is a Ctrl-O.

If this doesnt fix it, I have misunderstood your question.

If it does, I dont really see how a video card upgrade should
cause this problem!

Help changing video d

Post by NEWS » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

Run XF86Setup to change your settings (must be root).

> As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
> card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
> How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
> Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
> Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
> Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
> out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
> startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
> work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
> evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
> for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
> first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
> truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

> Thanks,
> Mike B.

1. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

Does anyone know how I can change the resolution of my 3D Blaster
Banshee Video Card in Linux? I've been struggling with this problem for
a while now. The resolution by default was set very high after I
downloaded the 3D Blaster Banshee Linux Driver from Creative
(XF_Banshee_1.01.tar.gz.
    I already tried to run Xconfigurator but my video card was not in
the list so I chose the Unlisted Option. However, I could find the
chipset that I have in the next list which is the Banshee Chipset. Now
that I was unable to find the proper hardware that I had in
Xconfigurator I'm unable to proceed to change resolutions.
    I called Linux support but they weren't much help and I just found
out that Creative does not support this driver. If anyone here has had
the same problem and has resolved it, please contact me. I really want
to know how I can solve this.

Thanks for Reading

2. just a hint

3. Help, I need to change my video card

4. KA9Q with Merit/Need address for domainadd

5. Help: Change video port from RGB to vga-15pin on 7012

6. Apache 2, Solaris 10 and SMF

7. Need help changing video servers without xf86config

8. Getting a private network right

9. Help changing video driver

10. Help changing video drive

11. Help changing video driver

12. Please Help w/RH 5.0 - Video prob when starting X Server but using supported video card

13. NVIDIA: Video In, TV out, Video In Player, & Video Editor...