RedHat6.0 hangs trying to start X Font Server

RedHat6.0 hangs trying to start X Font Server

Post by Michael Carmod » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I recently loaded Red Hat 6.0 at a computer show recently.  It loaded ok
and booted ok until I upgraded to XFree86 3.3.5.  I need this release to
support my video card.  After upgrading when I boot things hang with the
message: Loading X Font Server.  It will sit there all day and never go
past that point.  It's probable that the upgrade caused this trouble
since it booted ok before.  Is there a way I can get past this point in
the boot up sequence so that I can try to fix things? Any idea what the
incompatibility could be and how to fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

Post by Bob Tenne » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

 >I recently loaded Red Hat 6.0 at a computer show recently.  It loaded ok
 >and booted ok until I upgraded to XFree86 3.3.5.  I need this release to
 >support my video card.  After upgrading when I boot things hang with the
 >message: Loading X Font Server.  It will sit there all day and never go
 >past that point.  It's probable that the upgrade caused this trouble
 >since it booted ok before.  Is there a way I can get past this point in
 >the boot up sequence so that I can try to fix things? Any idea what the
 >incompatibility could be and how to fix it?

Use a boot disk. Or enter "linux single" at the LILO prompt;
that will put you into single-user recovery mode.  You should then
set the default run-level in /etc/inittab to 3 and reboot.  You will
reboot into console mode and can fix the FontPath, which is the likely
cause of your problem. Check /etc/X11/fs/config and ensure that the
directories listed in the catalogue exist; remove any that don't.
You can also use chkfontpath.

To start the X font server, execute

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

Then do startx.  If everything works, you can reset the default run-level to 5.

Bob T.

RedHat6.0 hangs trying to start X Font Server

Post by John Cal » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Use a boot disk. Or enter "linux single" at the LILO prompt;
>that will put you into single-user recovery mode.  You should then
>set the default run-level in /etc/inittab to 3 and reboot.

Or you can just type "linux 3" at the LILO prompt to boot into
runlevel 3 (console mode).  This spares you the aggravation of editing
the inittab file and rebooting.  I had to do this very thing last
night to fix my FontPath as well.

Regards,
John

> >I recently loaded Red Hat 6.0 at a computer show recently.  It loaded ok
> >and booted ok until I upgraded to XFree86 3.3.5.  I need this release to
> >support my video card.  After upgrading when I boot things hang with the
> >message: Loading X Font Server.  It will sit there all day and never go
> >past that point.  It's probable that the upgrade caused this trouble
> >since it booted ok before.  Is there a way I can get past this point in
> >the boot up sequence so that I can try to fix things? Any idea what the
> >incompatibility could be and how to fix it?

>Use a boot disk. Or enter "linux single" at the LILO prompt;
>that will put you into single-user recovery mode.  You should then
>set the default run-level in /etc/inittab to 3 and reboot.  You will
>reboot into console mode and can fix the FontPath, which is the likely
>cause of your problem. Check /etc/X11/fs/config and ensure that the
>directories listed in the catalogue exist; remove any that don't.
>You can also use chkfontpath.

>To start the X font server, execute

>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

>Then do startx.  If everything works, you can reset the default run-level to 5.

>Bob T.

1. milo hangs when trying to boot vmlinux.gz(redhat6.1)

I loaded the correct milo for my Alpha personal workstation 500a, (miata?)
but when I try to boot from floppy, it goes thru and unzips the vmlinux.gz
and starts to boot from fd0:vmlinux.gz.  but then it hangs and never comes
back.  My boot floppy is imaged from generic.img that I downloaded from the
alpha section of a redhat mirror.  I followed the steps in the howto, but it
still does nothin.  can anyone give me a clue?

Eth

2. Vosonic x-drive II Linux support

3. hang at font server start after upgrade RH 6 to XFree86 3.3.5

4. One way to make money with linux...

5. While trying to start the apache server

6. Need help with Solaris...

7. Font server hangs X

8. Single-point user authentication

9. X 3.3.3.1 font server hangs

10. starting font server freezes boot up

11. Cannot start X server because fixed fonts are not found

12. Red Hat 6.1 halts when starting X Font Server

13. Auto start TT font server?