tomsrtbt boot disk won't chroot - FATAL: kernel too old

tomsrtbt boot disk won't chroot - FATAL: kernel too old

Post by M Osborn » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:30:11

I'm trying to build a Gentoo system (that won't boot the livecd) by
using tomsrtbt.

Everything works great up until I get to the point where I need to
chroot to /mnt/gentoo (ie. chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/sh).

I get an error FATAL: kernel too old

I'm running the latest version of the tomsrtbt boot disk, and it
surprises me that I get this error -- since many people would need to
chroot if they're using the boot disk.

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Mike

Post by Fred Van Ande » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 06:35:36

>I'm trying to build a Gentoo system (that won't boot the livecd) by
>using tomsrtbt.

>Everything works great up until I get to the point where I need to
>chroot to /mnt/gentoo (ie. chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/sh).

>I get an error FATAL: kernel too old

>I'm running the latest version of the tomsrtbt boot disk, and it
>surprises me that I get this error -- since many people would need to
>chroot if they're using the boot disk.

>Please help if you can.

I believe tomsrtbt is based on a 2.2 series kernel for size reasons.

Some people have sucessfully installed Gentoo after booting a Knoppix
cd, you might want to try that.

FVA

1. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

 A couple of days ago, I installed the Slackware D-series that I had
downloaded and stored on a *DOS* partition on my Fujitsu 128MB m.o. scsi
drive (hooray!).

 At one point I was told that I was required to install the Linux kernel
if I wanted to use the C compiler, so I did.

 When there was no more software to install, I was asked (and I think
advised) to make a new boot disk, which I did.

 However, when I tried to 'reboot' using my new boot disk, I got a
"kernel panic" and a dead machine, so I punched the RESET button, but the
same thing happened: kernel panic.

 So, I tried booting with my old boot disk, which worked!

 Question: How come my old boot disk works but my supposedly new boot
disk doesn't?

 Followup: Is this something I should be concerned about or can I just
recycle that "new" boot disk?
--
  Bill Hogan

--
  Bill Hogan

2. Kernel 1.3.34: Cannot get a free page.

3. KERNEL BOOT DISK WON'T BOOT!

4. Using Checkpoint's SecureRemote through IPCHAINS firewall (VPN)

5. Starbuck won't boot, rescue disk won't mount

6. Video card question

7. old laptop won't boot boot.img

8. Yggdrasil Plug and Play Linux Fall 1995

9. Slackware 3.0.0 boot disks won't load -- Kernel PANICS

10. IBM disk as boot disk won't work in SS LX under 2.5.1?

11. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

12. Won't boot from boot disk - "crc error"

13. slakware boot disk won't boot (help)