Shortwave radios & Linux

Post by robert a three » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Everytime I re-compile a Linux kernel and I run accross that option to
compile in AX.25 support for Amatuer Radio I think to myself "I have a
shortwave, I wonder what I would accomplish by hooking it to my Linux box."

Is it just RTTY?  What sort of information do you find?  Can I simply run
audio output into the serial port?  If my RS DX-440 won't handle it,
what's the cheapist reciever that will?

               Linux user since 0.99 patch level 11
        Visit my web site:   www.evansville.net/~rthreet/

Shortwave radios & Linux

Post by xcit » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|Everytime I re-compile a Linux kernel and I run accross that option to
|compile in AX.25 support for Amatuer Radio I think to myself "I have a
|shortwave, I wonder what I would accomplish by hooking it to my Linux box."
|
|Is it just RTTY?  What sort of information do you find?  Can I simply run
|audio output into the serial port?  If my RS DX-440 won't handle it,
|what's the cheapist reciever that will?

It is important to separate ham and shortwave at this point. The
AX.25 stuff, I believe, is for TCP/IP over packet radio kinds of
stuff. I'm a ham myself, but have not yet messed with the AX.25 stuff,
so I don't know for sure. You would need this to run a packet BBS, for
example, I think.

What it sounds like you're looking for is a decoder for all the
digital modes you'll find on the shortwave band, (RTTY, AMTOR,
etc...). This is NOT what AX.25 is. Check the HAM-HOWTO, available at
your fave LDP mirror for more information.

--

Linux - the choice of a GNU generation.

Shortwave radios & Linux

Post by James Kno » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Everytime I re-compile a Linux kernel and I run accross that option to
>compile in AX.25 support for Amatuer Radio I think to myself "I have a
>shortwave, I wonder what I would accomplish by hooking it to my Linux box."

>Is it just RTTY?  What sort of information do you find?  Can I simply run
>audio output into the serial port?  If my RS DX-440 won't handle it,
>what's the cheapist reciever that will?

AX.25, a modified version of X.25 is used for packet radio, which is sort of
a network using radio.  There is some packet on the shortwave bands, but most
is on the VHF/UHF frequencies.  You'll need some method to convert the
incoming audio to data.  There are special devices called TNCs that will do
this.  Check out your local amateur radio store for details.

The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of
IBM Canada Ltd.

Shortwave radios & Linux

Post by William Burr » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>>audio output into the serial port?  If my RS DX-440 won't handle it,
>>what's the cheapist reciever that will?

>is on the VHF/UHF frequencies.  You'll need some method to convert the
>incoming audio to data.  There are special devices called TNCs that will do
>this.  Check out your local amateur radio store for details.

Check out the 2.1.xx series kernels for the Soundmodem -- makes a TNC out
of your soundcard via software.

William Burrow, VE9WIL (Adv, 5wpm)  --  New Brunswick, Canada
Copyright 1997 William Burrow

1. Linux mentioned on pirate shortwave radio

This afternoon I tuned in Radio Metallica Worldwide on 6955 kHz and the host was
talking about how Linux was a great operating system because the only way
anybody makes any money off it is if they charge you for compiling a CD.

--
A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
        --Lao Tzu

2. "Microsoft ports Windows Media to Linux"

3. ***Amateur Radio Site & Linux***

4. IP Masquerade over paralell line

5. Linux & Ham-Radio (BayCom)

6. DMZ: Private or Public IP?

7. Linux & HAM Radio

8. sony535-0.5 released

9. Static FM Radio using ivtv-radio on Hauppauge PVR-350

10. TNT V0.9 Packet Radio Hostmode Terminal (Ham Radio)

12. Internet connection via shortwave

13. tk545, new program to control the NRD-545 shortwave rcvr