Configuring Linux

Post by Nikhil S. Chitni » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 14:30:12

hi,
i have redhat 6.2 with Win98SE as duel boot. how do i start Apache Server
and Samba? i have a NE2000 compatible card. Please help me to -
1. Configure and run apache
2. Configure and run Samba
3. Networking so that i can communicate with other win machines on the
network.
Kindly send the help on my following email

thanx
nikhil S. Chitnis

Configuring Linux

Post by Chip Pille » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 02:49:27

I can't help but laugh at your request.  Is that all you want?

Knowing what you want to do in the big picture, break the problem down into
smaller parts and tackle one thing at a time.
It's relatively easy to do all this.  But you will first need to get the
networking to operate properly on the linux machine.  Start there, see if
you can get on the network, if you can connect to other machines, use a web
browser or whatever.  If you have problems with this then provide some
SPECIFICS and ask for help again.
Chip

> hi,
> i have redhat 6.2 with Win98SE as duel boot. how do i start Apache Server
> and Samba? i have a NE2000 compatible card. Please help me to -
> 1. Configure and run apache
> 2. Configure and run Samba
> 3. Networking so that i can communicate with other win machines on the
> network.
> Kindly send the help on my following email

> thanx
> nikhil S. Chitnis

> --

1. Configuring Linux tools: i586-pc-linux-gnu or i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1 ?????

Hello all,
This problem is causing me many sleepless nights (well, metaphorically
speaking anyway). As I understand it, I should try and configure all of
my Linux tools for the same target so that they all look for each other
in the same directories etc. However, they don't always agree on what my
system IS - e.g. binutils claims that I have a i586-unknown-linux-gnu,
whereas gcc and libg++ default to i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1. And yes, I do
have glibc-2.0.5 installed in /usr/local but I am uncomfortable about it
being there because it stops me from compiling the kernel and anything
which includes the linux/*.h headers.(I understand that this is normal?)

I have currently forced the target to be i586-pc-linux-gnu where
possible, since if I want to actually compile anything I have to move
all of the glibc1 headers to where the compiler can't find them anyway.
The final binary seems to link against libc.5.so, so this seems OK. The
gcc-2.8.0 compiler works.

libg++-2.8.0 does NOT work. According to the READMEs, libg++ must be
compiled for the same target as gcc-2.8.0 or gcc will not see it. This
implies the i586-pc-linux-gnu target. Unfortunately the compiler bombs
out when building libg++ for this target and the egcs (which shares much
source code with gcc-2.8.0) FAQ says "use the default target instead" -
i.e. gnulibc1. Building for gnulibc1 does work, although it doesn't do
me any good because the compiler is ...-linux-gnu.

There HAS to be a way to sort this mess out. Do I have to totally
eradicate glibc from my system so that gcc and libg++ can correctly
identify it as -linux-gnu? If so, how can I install glibc? And if I do
install glibc then how can I compile a new kernel? Or maybe there's a
problem with my setup? Since I neither want nor need several compilers,
I told gcc to install to --prefix=/usr, and up til now it worked just
fine...

Any insights would be appreciated,
Cheers,
Chris.

2. UNIX system administration tools

3. linux neewbie : Configuring linux client in a windows network

4. ipx

5. Configuring Linux firewall to allow IPSec

6. diald doesn't bring up the lnk

7. How to configure linux as a gateway?

8. Compaq server, which SCSI?

9. help with configuring linux mail server

10. Configuring linux ftp "special user"

11. How to configure Linux for a LAN of NT machines + 3COM 3C891 LAN Modem

12. Help : configure linux into a router.

13. Configuring linux to work with ICS