Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

Post by Chris Peti » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one
permanently?
>By the way, is kernel 1.3 stable? What is new in it ?
>Thx a lot!

    Yes.  Add a SECOND Linux partition to point to the very same
Linux partition.  THEN, manually edit the /etc/lilo.conf file,
so that one of them reads like this:

root=/vmlinuz.experimental (or whatever you call it).

That one you can call "New" and the other you can call "Old"

Then rerun lilo.config, and have it update Lilo with the current
lilo.conf file.

Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

Post by Bill Wya » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: >>>
: >>>Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one
: >>permanently?
: >>
: >>    Yes.  Add a SECOND Linux partition to point to the very same
: >>Linux partition.  THEN, manually edit the /etc/lilo.conf file,
: >>so that one of them reads like this:

[...]
: >If you only want to use your system with different kernel versions,
: >all you need is different kernel images, eg /zImage and zImage.new.
: >Build your new kernel by make zImage, next do
: > mv arch/i386/boot/zImage /zImage.new  (suppose you are on Intel)
: >then (and that was the correct part) edit /etc/lilo.conf, e.g. like

By far the simplest is to copy the zImage file to a boot floppy, then
boot it. No need to rerun lilo at all.
--

   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)

Can I test a new kernel(compiled myself) without remove old one permanently?

Post by Chris Lars » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 Try just making a boot floppy and then you don't have to mess with
anything. Just do this: put a floppy in the drive and instead of
typing "make zImage" type "make zdisk". You end up with a bootable
floppy. If it works go back and type "make zImage" and doing the
usual lilo and stuff to put it as /vmlinuz.

--
Chris Larson

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. Adaptec AVA1505 support?

3. New to AIX: Removing one month old files

4. Video "crash" with Redhat installation?

5. Compile software on new kernel for old kernel

6. i = getpid() & 0xffff?

7. RH6 bttv driver is old - how to upgrade without making new kernel?

8. 2.4.6 Pre 5 Not see all available RAM

9. installed & configured new kernel, but system still sees old one

10. permanently removing module from kernel using rmmod

11. 2.4.21-pre5-ac1: one old problem, one new problem

12. Compiled new kernel but old "module-info" file

13. Keep old configuration when compiling new kernel version?