/var/lib

Post by noOneInParticul » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:57:48

I was looking in the Filse System Hierarchy standard as to why my
MySQL data is placed in /var/lib and it said that this is where
application data goes that doesn't belong to any one user. My question
is why is it named lib. To me that stands for libraries, not
application data. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-SendMe

/var/lib

Post by Lew Pitche » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 11:28:40

> I was looking in the Filse System Hierarchy standard as to why my
> MySQL data is placed in /var/lib and it said that this is where
> application data goes that doesn't belong to any one user. My question
> is why is it named lib. To me that stands for libraries, not
> application data. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thoughts, but not authoritative...

"lib" is short for "library"

a library is where public information is stored (think "Public Library",
with books and all)

/var/lib is a repository of public information (a la "Public Library")
rather than a directory that stores object libraries

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered (Slackware) Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)

1. dselect/dpkg corrupting /var/lib/dpkg/*

hi all,

today I started dselect and got some segfaults; after some snooping I
found that /var/lib/dpkg/status and  /var/lib/dpkg/available were
corrupted! 90% of the errors were "J"s instead of "\n"s and "`" instead
of " "s; anyone seen something like this? I'm now telnet'ing from home so
I can't go into maintenance mode to do some e2fsck'ing but I don't think
it has to do with disk errors: the pattern s/\n/J/ and s/ /`/ leads me
to think that probably dpkg and/or dselect are the ones to blame..

any help welcome!

beers,

--

2. HELP: color-ls for broken links?

3. RPM for Uwin - cannot open file //var/lib/rpm/nameindex.rpm

4. Plug and Play sound card, how to config

5. Tripwire / Cannot --Update (### Filename: /var/lib/tripwire/report/etcetcetc.twr)

6. Sound fixed sorta :/

7. RPM corrupted, rpm --rebuilddb fails and there is data in the /var/lib/rpm directory

8. Some refresher questions on newer Solaris 9 / 10

9. Size of /var/lib/rpm - why so big?

10. /var/lib/nfs/sm/ files

11. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

12. DEBIAN: Can I recreate the /var/lib/dpkg/status - file?

13. failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm