-> Does anyone know if the Linux version of Oracle 8 is free?
I don't know. But I do have a response anyway.
Oracle is a very powerful SQL server, at least on a Solaris machine.
I think that Oracle is probably right that people would be willing to
pay money for their server. Even in the Linux / *BSD market.
On the other hand, Linux typicly runs on light weight machines rather
than the heavy iron of the big servers that Solaris will run on. On
such a machine, I wonder just what advantage Oracle has over Postgre.
Maybe a lot, maybe not so much.
I'm not sure what Oracle's best strategy would be. Clearly a version
for Linux that is cheap enough (or gratis) so that future db admins
can play with it on Linux would be useful for educational and
promotional purposes. Also, Oracle currently derives essentially all
its revenue from high end SQL servers. Big customers work out deals
directly with Oracle regarding CPUs, connections, users, etc. Oracle
can't afford to lose that revenue stream.
Neither can Sybase for that matter.
Watch and see what happens.
s/trashcan/david/ to reply by mail
If you don't, I won't see it.
ROMEO: Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much.
MERCUTIO: No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-
door; but 'tis enough, 'twill serve.
>-> Does anyone know if the Linux version of Oracle 8 is free?
>I don't know. But I do have a response anyway.
1. AIX 5L Oracle 8.1.7, Oracle 9i and HACMP 4.5
Does anyone have any field experience with (any , or a combination) of these
(Oracle, HACMP 4.5) products on AIX 5.2 (32-bit mode) ?
How do you experience stability of these products on the 5L platform ? Any
issues ? Difficulties ?
Please let me know.
Thank you in advance.
3. Why no Oracle/Solaris in Oracle store ?
5. New Oracle New Solaris v's Old Oracle Old Windows
6. PCWEEK : Arron Goldberg says it's all Java
7. ORACLE & APACHE: possible denial of service bug in oracle loadable module?
9. ORACLE - any idea with 'ORA-03114 not connected to ORACLE'
10. Oracle announce Oracle 8 and SERver for linux
11. Solaris7, Oracle 8.1.6 and DBD::Oracle
12. increasing Ulimits for Oracle user in a VxFS oracle implementation
13. Oracle on AIX:Oracle Newbie