Slackware 1.1.2 installation report

Post by Scott Deerwest » Thu, 10 Feb 1994 12:47:02

Well, I upgraded to Slackware 1.1.2 and bumped into a few problems
that I thought others would be interested in.

- Several of the disk series have their prompts messed up.  The ap, n,
  xap, xd and xv series all have *only* "skip" or "required" as their
  priorities.  That meant that I had to go back after the fact and
  patch things up -- removing things I didn't want, and adding things
  that I did.  Fortunately, my tastes didn't differ *too* drastically
  from Paul's. :-)

- Where'd /bin/su go???

- The man pages are installed in /usr/man/preformat.  I suppose that
  I'll figure out what was intended before too long, but for the
  moment man can't find any man pages.

- The 0.99.15 kernel configure script no longer asks you if you want
  to configure with the NUM lock on or off (it leaves it on).  If your
  "number" pad consists of the keys "789uiojklm,.", that's something
  of a problem.  I had to go to drivers/char/keyboard.c and add an
  ifdef around the "#define KBD_DEFLED" (or whatever that was...)
  line.

The biggest problem was that I spent an hour downloading 1.1.1 onto
~40 floppies before discovering that 1.1.2 had been available -- but
not on the mirrors that I checked -- for a couple of days.  Oh, well.

I like the new "setup" program.  I don't particularly like the
chatty that forces me to move the mouse to select "Yes", "No" or
"Quit" instead of just typing "y" or "n" or "q".  I also find it a
little silly that it clears the screen to put up a window saying
"Skipping package blodget".  But those are details that tend to get
worked out when a program has been around for a while.  In general, a
very nice job.
 Scott Deerwester            |   The Hong Kong University of

 Phone:    (852) 358-6985    |  Department of Computer Science

Post by Andries Brouw » Fri, 11 Feb 1994 07:22:30

: Well, I upgraded to Slackware 1.1.2 and bumped into a few problems
: that I thought others would be interested in.

But the following is a property of the kernel source, not of Slackware.

: - The 0.99.15 kernel configure script no longer asks you if you want
:   to configure with the NUM lock on or off (it leaves it on).  If your
:   "number" pad consists of the keys "789uiojklm,.", that's something
:   of a problem.  I had to go to drivers/char/keyboard.c and add an
:   ifdef around the "#define KBD_DEFLED" (or whatever that was...)
:   line.

"Did go", but not "had to go". You can set or clear NumLock (just as
so many other keyboard and console related variables) from user mode.
You do not compile default console colors into the kernel but say
        % setterm -foreground cyan -background blue
and similarly you should not compile default NumLock settings into
the kernel, but say
        % setleds -num
. Of course you probably want this in a .profile or /etc/rc.local or so.

(Precisely how you manage to get "789uiojklm,." is not clear to me,
unless you have redefined these keys using loadkeys or so.
By default, if NumLock is on, you get "7894561230.", while if NumLock is
off, you get certain escape sequences [e.g., instead of 8 you would get
Esc [ A , the code for CursorUp]. Finally, if you set application key
mode (by sending Esc = to the tty), and you do not press Shift, then
the number pad keys produce certain other escape sequences (Esc O w, etc.).)

Andries

Post by Harald T. Alvestra » Fri, 11 Feb 1994 17:31:31

|> (Precisely how you manage to get "789uiojklm,." is not clear to me,
|> unless you have redefined these keys using loadkeys or so.

Portables.
--
                   Harald Tveit Alvestrand

      G=Harald;I=T;S=Alvestrand;O=uninett;P=uninett;C=no
                      +47 73 59 70 94
My son's name is Torbj?rn. The letter between "j" and "r" is o with a slash.

Post by Norbert J. Girar » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 01:19:28

: : Well, I upgraded to Slackware 1.1.2 and bumped into a few problems
: : that I thought others would be interested in.

[ Discussion on pl15 feature NO_NUM_LOCK munged ]

: (Precisely how you manage to get "789uiojklm,." is not clear to me,
: unless you have redefined these keys using loadkeys or so.
: By default, if NumLock is on, you get "7894561230.", while if NumLock is
: off, you get certain escape sequences [e.g., instead of 8 you would get
: Esc [ A , the code for CursorUp]. Finally, if you set application key
: mode (by sending Esc = to the tty), and you do not press Shift, then
: the number pad keys produce certain other escape sequences (Esc O w, etc.).)

Ever seen a notebook with *NO* separate keypad ?? :-)
It is a pain in the rear when such a keyboard comes up with num-lock
on by default.

- Norbert

--
SSSSSS            SQUAREDANCE is FRIENDSHIP set to MUSIC.

SSSQSS  Q       Voice: +49 621 493417 (h) +49 621 381-3260 (w)
   QQQQQQ  If you know how to REPAIR YOUR SQUARE :-) drop me a line

Slackware 1.1.2 installation report

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 13 Feb 1994 20:06:57

Quote:>Ever seen a notebook with *NO* separate keypad ?? :-)
>It is a pain in the rear when such a keyboard comes up with num-lock
>on by default.

Yes, I understand now. A few days ago I submitted to Linus
the 1-line patch that changes the default,

Andries

Post by Scott Deerwest » Tue, 15 Feb 1994 12:21:20

>> Well, I upgraded to Slackware 1.1.2 and bumped into a few problems
>> that I thought others would be interested in.

> But the following is a property of the kernel source, not of Slackware.

You're right, of course.

Quote:>> - The 0.99.15 kernel configure script no longer asks you if you want
>>   to configure with the NUM lock on or off (it leaves it on).  If your
>>   "number" pad consists of the keys "789uiojklm,.", that's something
>>   of a problem.  I had to go to drivers/char/keyboard.c and add an
>>   ifdef around the "#define KBD_DEFLED" (or whatever that was...)
>>   line.

> "Did go", but not "had to go". You can set or clear NumLock (just as
> so many other keyboard and console related variables) from user mode.
> You do not compile default console colors into the kernel but say
>    % setterm -foreground cyan -background blue
> and similarly you should not compile default NumLock settings into
> the kernel, but say
>    % setleds -num
> .. Of course you probably want this in a .profile or /etc/rc.local or so.

> (Precisely how you manage to get "789uiojklm,." is not clear to me,
> unless you have redefined these keys using loadkeys or so.
> By default, if NumLock is on, you get "7894561230.", while if NumLock is
> off, you get certain escape sequences [e.g., instead of 8 you would get
> Esc [ A , the code for CursorUp]. Finally, if you set application key
> mode (by sending Esc = to the tty), and you do not press Shift, then
> the number pad keys produce certain other escape sequences (Esc O w, etc.).)

I'm running Linux on a notebook that doesn't *have* a number pad.
When you hit the numlock key (which is does have), it turns the
following keys:

              6 7 8 9 0 -
               y u i o p
                h j k l ;
               b n m , . /

into:

              6 7 8 9 * -
               y 4 5 6 -
                h 1 2 3 +
               b n 0 , . /

So when I type "scott" to login, it comes out "sc6tt".  So, yes, I
could do it in software (didn't know that, thanks), but I'd have to
turn it off by hitting the numlock in order to login, by which time
it's already off.

Post by Andries Brouw » Tue, 15 Feb 1994 20:21:36

: I'm running Linux on a notebook that doesn't *have* a number pad.

: So when I type "scott" to login, it comes out "sc6tt".  So, yes, I
: could do it in software (didn't know that, thanks), but I'd have to
: turn it off by hitting the numlock in order to login

Since pl15c NumLock is off at startup.