Number of open file handles

Post by David Nef » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

How can I increase the number of open files the Linux kernel can
have open at any time?  I am using kernel 2.025.

Thanks,

Dave Neff

Number of open file handles

Post by Andrew E. Miles » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: How can I increase the number of open files the Linux kernel can
: have open at any time?  I am using kernel 2.025.

There is a hard limit of 256/process that cannot easily be changed
(but it can be changed if you don't mind recompiling everything).
You can change the system-wide number of open files easily by
modifying a header file (NR_OPEN?) - I think the default is 1024.

Recent changes to the linux kernel make using > 256 fd/process
easier to change (it requires more work on older kernels).

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Number of open file handles

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>How can I increase the number of open files the Linux kernel can
>have open at any time?  I am using kernel 2.025.

Modify  /proc/sys/kernel/file-{nr,max} at boot time.  Not sure what would be
appropriate values though.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

1. Number of open file handles

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed here at some time, but I can't seem to find
the answer, so here goes.

What is the limit for the number of open file handles in solaris (2.5.1,
2.6, 2.7)?  I have an application that needs to open more than 400 file
handles (due to driver restrictions), but I think the OS will restrict me to
less than that.  Is there an OS tuneable to make the number bigger?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Paul

2. Using dosemu to run DOS binaries from unix side ?

3. number of open handles for a file/select problem

4. dialin problem (modem?)

5. Help: What controls number of files a user can open (file open command)?

6. Firewire 500Mz install failure: hda: lost interrupt

7. How can I tuning Max process number and open file number on Sun Solaris 7(Intel)???

8. Downloaded .gz Files

9. ksh file open with variable file handle

10. Number of file handles

11. open file handles

12. How to tell if their are open file handles when exiting a process?

13. Bad magic number / Can't open disk label package / Can't open boot device