Wanted: True color pix-viewer

Post by Arjan van Oever » Thu, 06 Oct 1994 18:40:00

Hello,

Since I've gotten a new video-card with a 24-bit DAC, I'd like to know
if there is any software to utilize it, that DAC I mean, with.

I am searching for picture viewers and animation viewers. The more formats
they support the better, but in any case JPG for the picture viewer and
MPEG and/or AVI for the animation viewer.

Since X doesn't allow for more than 256 colors, yet, the programs should be
able to run in textmode with help of svgalib or something. I'm forced to use
the rather excellent DOS viewers have in the mean time. ( Display and DVPEG,
aren't they portable ? )

In case someone is interested, here's my configuration:

- i486SX-25 with 8 meg ram, no cache :( , isa bus
- Topcolor VGA card with:
        CL-GD5426 chipset
        1 meg ram

- Linux 1.0.9, Slackware release 1.2 ( If I remeber correctly  )
- XFree86 2.0
- SVGAlib which came with above mentioned Slacware release, I don't know
  the version

This may sound like a not-so-state-of-the-art software configuration, but I'm
rather new to Linux and it's said to be stable. Besides, I don't have a
tape streamer or CD-ROM drive and I'm not plannig to install 50 floppy's
or so every few weeks.

-Any- help or pointers will be appreciated greatly.

Arjan

 "I am saddened to see our world criple,      Arjan van Oeveren, Netherlands

Wanted: True color pix-viewer

Post by man.. » Tue, 11 Oct 1994 08:55:28

: Hello,
[...]
XFree86-3.1 displays in 24 bpp if you have the appropriate
hardware

For console, try zgv-*
MGM

1. True Color, is this true?

I was talking to a friend about going into color higher than 8-bit,
and he told me the only way is to purchase a server from a company
directly.  The distribution of X (I got mine with slackware) does not
have servers that support greater than 8-bit color, is this true?

dave

2. Linux Counter

3. color index on true color display ?

4. Performance Problem

5. high color and true color

6. KDE3 background and quick launch icons

7. Can Diamond 968 4MB VRAM do 1280x1024 True Color?

8. sound on a compaq presario 5441

9. 16 bit True color on X11

10. True requirements for Lexmark Optra Color 40 SIMMs?

11. Please help... x with accelerated true color..

12. True Color on Mach64...

13. How can I set up oxygen vx1 for true color?