The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

Post by Schic » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

After my spouse decided to enter the computing world, and buying a
better computer than mine, she mentioned that she'd like to network the
two together. Of course I'd like to. I'd love to gain access to the
larger hard and printer, etc. (Why a newbie like her gets a better
computer than me is puzzling, oh wel...)
  We have purchased two nice NE2000 compatible and installed them okay.
Cabling (thin) works fine, and Linux is setup with a ftp server and
accepts telnet. Great.
  My question is this:

  Isn't there more I can do? How can I get more out of this setup? (I
guess that's more than one question)

What is the best way to connect a linux box to a Win95 box? Ftp and
telnet are okay, but really only usefull if I'm actually using the Win95
box. I'd rather not use the Win95 box, I love Linux and find Win95 a
pain (No flames please, just my opinion).

  Have any of you connected two or more similiar computers together?

  I'd reall ylike some ideas from you networking gurus out there. Thanks
in advance to anyone who can assist me.

The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

Post by Andrew Daviso » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

One word. Samba. It let's a Unix box emulate Windows sharing.

> After my spouse decided to enter the computing world, and buying a
> better computer than mine, she mentioned that she'd like to network the
> two together. Of course I'd like to. I'd love to gain access to the
> larger hard and printer, etc. (Why a newbie like her gets a better
> computer than me is puzzling, oh wel...)
>   We have purchased two nice NE2000 compatible and installed them okay.
> Cabling (thin) works fine, and Linux is setup with a ftp server and
> accepts telnet. Great.
>   My question is this:

>   Isn't there more I can do? How can I get more out of this setup? (I
> guess that's more than one question)

> What is the best way to connect a linux box to a Win95 box? Ftp and
> telnet are okay, but really only usefull if I'm actually using the Win95
> box. I'd rather not use the Win95 box, I love Linux and find Win95 a
> pain (No flames please, just my opinion).

>   Have any of you connected two or more similiar computers together?

>   I'd reall ylike some ideas from you networking gurus out there. Thanks
> in advance to anyone who can assist me.

The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

Post by Mark B » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[snip]
> What is the best way to connect a linux box to a Win95 box? Ftp and
> telnet are okay, but really only usefull if I'm actually using the Win95
> box. I'd rather not use the Win95 box, I love Linux and find Win95 a
> pain (No flames please, just my opinion).

>   Have any of you connected two or more similiar computers together?

1. Run Samba on the Linux box to enable it to offer drive and printer
   shares to the win95 box. Your Linux box can also mount the other
   drives with smbmount.

2. Put a modem in the Linux box and have it run IP-forwarding so you
   can both surf the web at the same time. (Yes, it's all true!)

3. Install an auto dialer program (diald) and your own news server. Make
   the Linux box download your news while you sleep.

4. Run apache, the www server and learn to be a webmaster. Use the
stinky
   ol' windows box to check the appearance of your web pages in IE.

5. Get a demo/shareware version of microX and you can have X-window
   session show up on the 95 box.

Oh, the things you can do!
If your interested in learning about networking, this is your big
chance.

--------
Mark B.

The best ways to connect a Win95 box to a Linux box ???????

Post by Ray Wald » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>After my spouse decided to enter the computing world, and buying a
>better computer than mine, she mentioned that she'd like to network the
>two together. Of course I'd like to. I'd love to gain access to the
>larger hard and printer, etc. (Why a newbie like her gets a better
>computer than me is puzzling, oh wel...)
>  We have purchased two nice NE2000 compatible and installed them okay.
>Cabling (thin) works fine, and Linux is setup with a ftp server and
>accepts telnet. Great.
>  My question is this:

>  Isn't there more I can do? How can I get more out of this setup? (I
>guess that's more than one question)

>What is the best way to connect a linux box to a Win95 box? Ftp and
>telnet are okay, but really only usefull if I'm actually using the Win95
>box. I'd rather not use the Win95 box, I love Linux and find Win95 a
>pain (No flames please, just my opinion).

>  Have any of you connected two or more similiar computers together?

>  I'd reall ylike some ideas from you networking gurus out there. Thanks
>in advance to anyone who can assist me.

2 cents worth here. We have two linux boxes (each is a lan of w311 and w95
pcs) connected over the internet. The lan with NO w95 boxes is bullet-proof.
The lan with w95 boxes is a disaster. w95 - just say no.

Post by Stover Babco » Sun, 15 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Hi,

Use samba. I useit between my 2 linux boxes and my Win95 machine. Simply,
it enables you to mount your linux hds over the Win95 network. (you must
use tcp/ip on the windoze machine). I belive you can get samba from
sunsite.unc.edu (but dont quote me).

thanks, stover

+ Stover L. Babcock III | Pit-Stop Internet, Ltd. +