x11amp 0.7 screeching

Post by Saadiq Rodgers-Ki » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Do you get decent sound out of the card in any other app?

>Running Slackware 2.0.34 on an Hewlett Packard OmniBook 2000cs laptop (P133
>with 32 megs RAM (no L2 cache) with an embedded Crystal PnP sound chip (Sound
>Blaster Pro compatible)...
>When I try to play any mp3 with the current version of x11amp, all I get is
>a loud screeching sound.  The timer in x11amp appears to be running VERY slow
>as well.
>The same x11amp works beautifully on a desktop P200 system running a
>SoundBlaster AWE32.
>Any ideas?

x11amp 0.7 screeching

Post by Frank Pilhof » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Running Slackware 2.0.34 on an Hewlett Packard OmniBook 2000cs laptop (P133
>with 32 megs RAM (no L2 cache) with an embedded Crystal PnP sound chip (Sound
>Blaster Pro compatible)...
>When I try to play any mp3 with the current version of x11amp, all I get is
>a loud screeching sound.

 You're obviously using the SB Pro compatibility mode. The SB Pro is
a stereo, albeit 8 bit soundcard, and X11Amp doesn't work with 8 bit
soundcards. What you're hearing is 16 bit sound data.
 Try to use a sound card driver that supports your chip natively (OSS
lists some supported Crystal ships), or use mpg123 instead.

        Frank

--

 |                                      http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~fp/ |
 +---- Life would be a very great deal less weird without you.  - DA ----+

x11amp 0.7 screeching

Post by Tony Hoy » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Running Slackware 2.0.34 on an Hewlett Packard OmniBook 2000cs laptop (P133
>with 32 megs RAM (no L2 cache) with an embedded Crystal PnP sound chip (Sound
>Blaster Pro compatible)...
>When I try to play any mp3 with the current version of x11amp, all I get is
>a loud screeching sound.  The timer in x11amp appears to be running VERY slow
>as well.
>The same x11amp works beautifully on a desktop P200 system running a
>SoundBlaster AWE32.
>Any ideas?

I got exactly this using the SB emulation. It appears the CS4232 isn't
as SB compatible as it claims - reconfigure using the CS4232 drivers
and it works beautifully.

Tony

Linux... Because rebooting is only for kernel upgrades

x11amp 0.7 screeching

Post by Tony Hoy » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Tony,
>I wanted to let you know that the CS4232 driver did the trick.  x11amp works
>beautifully now.  However, I'm having a bit of trouble configuring the sound
>driver.  A 'cat /dev/sndstat' lists some items in parenthesis (i.e., they're
>not functioning properly).  I've tried configuring the driver with and with-
>out SoundBlaster support, and each setup produces different oddities.  Can
>you tell me which of the Sound options you chose and which you didn't when
>you configured the kernel?
>Thanks,
>David

I use modular (RH) sound drivers.  My conf.modules is like this:

alias sound cs4232
options -k cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1,0
alias midi opl3
options -k opl3 io=0x388

The MPU401 module fails on startup, but that's no loss as my laptop
has no midi output...

After installing I get the following from /dev/sndstat

Sound Driver:3.5.4-960630
Kernel: Linux wilma 2.0.35 #2 Wed Oct 14 14:23:41 BST 1998 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: CS4232 (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL-3

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock
1: CS4232 (CS4231)

Mixers:
0: CS4232 (CS4231)

This all seems to work fine.  I think the stuff in parenthesis is just
comments, really (certainly there's nothing in the syslog to suggest
otherwise).

Tony

Linux... Because rebooting is only for kernel upgrades

1. wmf 0.7 - converting mails to html

Hi,

I've released today a new version (0.7) of wmf
(WebMailFolder). Notice that this software is
still BETA.

Changes:
- - Some bugs fixed (Thanks for reporting)
- - Threading Level limitation
- - Filepermission
- - Email address detection in the mailbody
- - New handling of the To: field (Multi address)

It can be found on:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/Incoming
should be moved to
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Mail/mailhandlers

ftp://ftp.lugs.ch/incoming
should be moved to
ftp://ftp.lugs.ch/pub/linux/mail

For more details see the doc/ChangeLog or
http://www.lugs.ch/LUGS_Members/norbert.kuemin/wmf-0.7.html

LSM-file
Begin3
Title:          wmf - Web Mail Folder
Version:        0.7
Entered-date:   24FEB97

Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Mail/mailhandlers
                26 kB wmf-0.7.tar.gz
Alternate-site:
Platforms:      Linux
Copying-policy: GPL
End

- --
Norbert Kuemin (Linux User Group Switzerland, see http://www.lugs.ch/)

- --

2. 2 NICs

3. linux kernel conf 0.7

4. Setting LaserWriter dpi from Unix?

5. PCSND 0.7 driver and Doom

6. Compiling gdb-4.6

7. COMMERCIAL: Drivers v1.0.7 for LML33 cards available Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

8. How to close stdout from shell script

9. Finding and compiling glibc-2.0.7

10. OpenLDAP v2.0.7 and roaming access..

11. samba-2.0.7 auth to Win2k encrypted

12. ANN: lanoche - laptop or notebook report generator for HTML 0.7

13. getty_ps2.0.7 ... cure for the serial login blues