LINUX *FREE*!

Post by DAVID MOHO » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know where I can get LINUX on floppy disks free?  I have a
book, "Using LINUS" which has a CD-ROM in it, but I can't use it!  Any
help would be appreciated!

---
 * QMPro 1.53 * ERROR: Computer Possesed -- Load EXOR.SYS? (Y/N):

---
This message originated from:  ----------        Selective Source BBS
                                    -------    *ia Beach, *ia
                                         -----      (804) 471 6776

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by David Bourgi » Sat, 13 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know where I can get LINUX on floppy disks free?  I have a
> book, "Using LINUS" which has a CD-ROM in it, but I can't use it!  Any
> help would be appreciated!

There're several ftp sites, as mentionned in LINUX FAQ.
If you just have e-mail and no ftp access, ftp can be done via e-mail.
Mentionned in comp.compression FAQ, if I remember correctly.

A copy of FAQ of comp.compression news group is available at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/comp.compression/

A copy of FAQ of comp.os.linux.misc is available at
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/comp.os.linux.misc/

--
Wish you a happy new year,                          David

David Bourgin - UFR IMA (French University - Grenoble)
I'm a netsurfer, and as such a citizen of the world!

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by Richard L. England J » Sun, 14 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > Does anyone know where I can get LINUX on floppy disks free?  I have a
: > book, "Using LINUS" which has a CD-ROM in it, but I can't use it!  Any
: > help would be appreciated!

In addition to being able to download it from numerous FTP sites worldwide,
Softlanding used to distribute Linux on floppies.  This was about three
years ago, when I first started using Linux.  At the time, Linux occupied
about 30 floppies, and it cost about $100 to order them.  Today, there
are more floppies than that, and I don't know if Softlanding distributes
SLS this way anymore.  You might check out a FAQ from one of the FTP sites
that distributes SLS.

| P. O. Box 300322                 Home  (817) 261-6513 |
| Arlington, TX 76007-0322         Pager (214) 822-0394 |
|          Friends don't let friends use DOS.           |

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by Jaspreet Sin » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Try PC World magazine - Its got all of slackware ver 2 on it. only 2.95 aswell

--
Jaspreet Singh  Analyst/Programmer | Tel   : +44 (0)1484 517077
H. Charlesworth & Co. Ltd,         | Fax   : +44 (0)1484 425439

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by Kevin Cram » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I am assuming that you do not have a CD-ROM, but if you know someone
who has a CD-ROM then perhaps you could make floppies from the CD.
The InfoMagic Linux Developer's Reource CD I just bought claims to
allow you to do this.  I doubt that anyone is giving away that many
floppies for free.

Kevin

Post by Dave Pearso » Tue, 16 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> Try PC World magazine - Its got all of slackware ver 2 on it. only 2.95
> aswell

But it is a *very* old version, don't forget that.

--
Dave Pearson              | Let us not assasinate this lad further, Senator.

Bass Player for the       |   Have you no sense of decency, Sir?
Cheri-Woodpeckers         |    At long last, have you no sense of decency?

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by R.I. Bagna » Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>> Try PC World magazine - Its got all of slackware ver 2 on it. only 2.95
>> aswell

>But it is a *very* old version, don't forget that.

What version is it ?

LINUX *FREE*!

Post by Dave Pearso » Fri, 19 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >> Try PC World magazine - Its got all of slackware ver 2 on it. only 2.95
> >> aswell

> >But it is a *very* old version, don't forget that.

> What version is it ?

Like the guy said above, version 2, as in version 2.0.

--

Post by Dave Pearso » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> : > >But it is a *very* old version, don't forget that.
> : >
> : > What version is it ?

> : Like the guy said above, version 2, as in version 2.0.

> Yes. What *were* PC World thinking of?  I bought the magazine
> purely because it seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade
> a few things I'd been missing - new libraries etc.
> But the PC World CD had kernel 1.0.9 or something ancient like
> that. Shame.

I get the mag every month anyway so it's not such a big deal, however,
there were two things that pissed me off. One thing was they said that
Linux was "Shareware", a bit misleading at best if you ask me.

The other things was what they missed out. Like, I saw Linux was on the
CD I and thought "cool, I bet there is a big article on how to install
it and stuff like that, should get a few more people interested". Nope,
not a thing, not even a mention of it in the 32bit section of the mag
where they *do* talk about Linux from time to time. Talking about screwing
up!

I guess they just don't have a clue.

--

Post by John Hartn » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: > >> Try PC World magazine - Its got all of slackware ver 2 on it. only 2.95
: > >> aswell
: > >
: > >But it is a *very* old version, don't forget that.
: >
: > What version is it ?

: Like the guy said above, version 2, as in version 2.0.

Yes. What *were* PC World thinking of?  I bought the magazine
purely because it seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade
a few things I'd been missing - new libraries etc.
But the PC World CD had kernel 1.0.9 or something ancient like
that. Shame.

John

     http://www.aston.ac.uk/~hartnupj/ | or you can save it until later...

1. Melbourne Australia is Linux Free

2. cursor control-better way?

3. LINUX ...FREE ????

4. Full ufsrestore on root directories

5. Is Linux free?

6. Crackly background audio on mkLinux

7. Linux + Free ORB = Revolution?

8. SCSI HD Spindown, how?

9. NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 9 August 2000: GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners Group Meeting

10. help with Linux FreeS/Wan VPN installation