hot to make a bootable cdrom?

Post by Cevat Ustu » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

How can I write the necessary files to an ext2 image file
so as to make it bootable when I burn it to a cd?

Thanks,

Cev.

hot to make a bootable cdrom?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:15:39 GMT, Cevat Ustun

shouted forth into the ether:

Quote:>How can I write the necessary files to an ext2 image file
>so as to make it bootable when I burn it to a cd?

What is this "ext2" image file thing?  It is possible to create a CD with
an ext2 filesystem on it, but if you want a bootable CD, you'd be much
better off using ISO9660 with Rock Ridge extensions.  This is what you'd
do:

mkisofs -b BOOT.IMG -c boot.catalog -r -T -o cdimage.iso BLAH

BOOT.IMG is a floppy image, usually 1.4M in size, that contains a Linux
kernel and probably an initial ramdisk.  You can read the Bootdisk-HOWTO
to find out how to create such an image;
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html

BLAH is the path to the file tree you wish to put onto the CD.  mkisofs
has other options to exclude certain files/directory trees, or merge
images, or...  read the man page to learn all about it.

Once you've done all that, put a blank CD into the CD-RW and do a
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=/dev/sg0 cdimage.iso
adjusting the speed and dev parameters to your hardware.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

hot to make a bootable cdrom?

Post by Cevat Ustu » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the advice,

Cev.

1. What makes a SCSI CDROM drive bootable by Suns?

Simply that Sun's (and some HP's and SGI's) expect the CD-ROM drive to
be able to support 512 bytes per block transfers, just like a normal
hard drive has.

Normal CD-ROM drives transfer bytes in 2048 bytes per block. All the
Sun bootable drives also support this mode, but when you throw that
jumper that make them Sun bootable, it defaults to 512 byte blocks.

--

  Network Engineer/Tech Support/Jack of All Trades of Vector Internet
Due to circumstances beyond your control, you are master of your fate

2. $$$$FAST CASH$$$$

3. Making bootable cdrom on solaris

4. Multi-link PPP and Solaris X86

5. Making a bootable Linux CDROM ...

6. Stretching X to fit the screen

7. Making disk bootable without reinstall system from cdrom

8. Redhat 2.0 installation problem

9. making bootable cdrom, rdev?

10. making a bootable linuxppc cdrom // dualboot

11. Making a bootable CDROM

12. making a bootable disk like the install cdrom

13. Problem mounting cdrom on CDROM-floppy hot swap Dell laptop