VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

Post by Charles Wilki » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:41:17

Is it possible at boot time to tell the kernel to initialize VESA
frame buffer devices(s) to do different modes for different virtual
consoles ?

I would like, for example:

virtual consoles 1-5 to be 800x600 8-bit color depth
virtual console 6 to be 640x480 8-bit color depth

Thank you in advance for any replies and for reading.
Charles Wilkins

VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

Post by Dances With Cro » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:12:40

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:41:17 GMT, Charles Wilkins staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Is it possible at boot time to tell the kernel to initialize VESA
> frame buffer devices(s) to do different modes for different virtual
> consoles ?

> virtual consoles 1-5 to be 800x600 8-bit color depth
> virtual console 6 to be 640x480 8-bit color depth

As I understand it, there is only one framebuffer device for each
graphics card in the system, and the VESA mode for this device is set at
boot time and cannot be changed afterwards.  Changing the VESA mode,
according to the documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
vesafb.txt , requires using some calls to real-mode BIOS functions,
which are unavailable when the kernel is running.

This might be out of date, since the "fbset" program is supposed to be
able to change framebuffer sizes on the fly.  fbset did *not* work on my
laptop, which is running the VESA framebuffer.

I don't think fbset would help you get exactly what you want.  However,
you could start up an X session on tty6 that was running at 640x480 in
8-bit color with a 640x480 xterm as the only client.  If you're
already running X on the machine, one more X server probably won't kill
anything.  If you're working in a small (embedded?) space, then things
could get really tricky.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. VESA fbdev(s), different modes for different vc's ?

Is it possible at boot time to tell the kernel to initialize VESA
frame buffer devices(s) to do different modes for different virtual
consoles ?

I would like, for example:

virtual consoles 1-5 to be 800x600 8-bit color depth
virtual console 6 to be 640x480 8-bit color depth

Thank you in advance for any replies and for reading.
Charles Wilkins

2. last login

3. XFree86 4.0 - different VESA mode?

4. Again prob adding char

5. (?) Why different 'colors' on different logins?

6. ARP filtering

7. VC's & X (Different Question)

8. help linux help

9. Apache: different access for different IP's

10. Different Applicatin on different CPU'S

11. NCurses question: different terminals, different output, or "where'd the lines go?"... why?

12. cursor keys act funny in different VC?

13. different screen setup for different terminal?