Sparc1+ v. DX4-100 Linux

Post by Ted Oka » Fri, 05 Aug 1994 11:24:49

Hi.
        I'm wrestling with a decision in setting up a
web/gopher/sendmail-listserv/ftp/wais+gsql+sql-freeIngres server off of a
56kbps pipe to the Net.

        The pipe speed limits everything of course.  Hence, specInt's may
not be as critical as simple disk I/O performace.  I'm not looking for
anything spectacular.  However, cost/benefit I'm looking at either a
Linux box with 100Mz DX4 and fast-wide SCSI II versus a slower Sparc 1+
with an accelerator chip (from Minicomputer Exchange-Sunnyvale) but with
SBus performace.

        One factor is the abundance of compiled Internet apps for SunOS
4.x such as NCSA httpd, freeWais, freeIngres etc.

        Any advice?

Thanks in advance!!

1. Linux hates AMD DX4-100 & ASUS PVI-486 SP3?

Phil,

        I have heard from various sources about the BIOS not being able to recognise the AMD CPU. A BIOS upgrade was suggested which is available from the ASUS site in Taiwan, the name of which eludes me right now. The other point that was raised is that the AMD CPU should not be setup as a power saving CPU, so in effect tell the system that it is not a SL type CPU. Hope this helps,

Chris

2. FTP problems sigh..

3. linux on Dell Latitude XP DX4-100 TFT

4. ksh: arrays and parameter substitution

5. linux on a DX4-100?

6. Problem configuring mouse on RedHat 4.2

7. ASUS SP3G and AMD DX4-100 ???

8. blt-for-stk & linux

9. AMD DX4/120 vs. INTEL DX4/100

10. RedHat 6.1 / Gnome /Enlightenment dx4-100

11. AMD DX4-100 , HOT-433 PCI/ISA main board, can't boot

12. AMD DX4-100 will not reboot

13. How many bogomips w/AMD DX4-100