Virtual consoles > 12?

Post by Jon Freiva » Tue, 24 May 1994 06:04:42

I've messed around and played with the number of VC's available.
Everything (so far) works great, except, how do I get to a VC that's
greater than 12?  i.e., currently I'm running 13, and X uses 13 quite
nicely, but if I switch to any other, I can never figure out how to
get back... :(  Any hints?

Jon
--

PGP V2 - 22A829/40 DA 9E 8E C0 A1 59 B2  46 3B 73 81 2B 7B 83 1F
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.

Virtual consoles > 12?

Post by Andries Brouw » Tue, 24 May 1994 22:55:30

>I've messed around and played with the number of VC's available.
>Everything (so far) works great, except, how do I get to a VC that's
>greater than 12?  i.e., currently I'm running 13, and X uses 13 quite
>nicely, but if I switch to any other, I can never figure out how to
>get back... :(  Any hints?

If you have the default key settings, AltGr+Fn will bring you to Console n+12.

However, if you use lots of consoles (instead of X and lots of windows),
then you might be interested in my patches that
1. Allocate VCs dynamically (so that you start out with a single console,
and get as many as you need).
2. Define two keys DecrConsole and IncrConsole to circulate through them.
I find that more convenient than remembering what was on 7 and what on 9.

Virtual consoles > 12?

Post by S.G. de Brui » Wed, 25 May 1994 17:03:57

: I've messed around and played with the number of VC's available.
: Everything (so far) works great, except, how do I get to a VC that's
: greater than 12?  i.e., currently I'm running 13, and X uses 13 quite
: nicely, but if I switch to any other, I can never figure out how to
: get back... :(  Any hints?

I never tried this, but I think it is RightAlt-F[1-12] for vc 13--24

Steef
--------------
S.G. de Bruijn
Twente University of Technology, Dept. of Computer Science

signature: file not found

1. why the virtual consoles 11-12 do not work?

:  In order to get 11 virtual consoles with getty in them, i have:
:   * the kernel compiled with     #define NR_PTYS  64
:   * /dev/tty9, though /dev/tty12
:   * c11:45:respawn:/etc/getty tty11 VC console

:   But still it does not work.
:   What am I missing?

You do not give any information, so your question cannot be
answered. For recent kernels no recompilation is required
if you are satisfied with 63 virtual consoles.
[But you do not mention any kernel version.]

PTYS have nothing to do with VCs.

What precisely does not work?
Have you checked your keymap?

2. Usenet post Cancelling

3. More than 12 Virtual Consoles?

4. What causes immediate TCP/IP disconnects?

5. vn-console-0.12 vietnamese language support tools

6. How to get the date of yesterday?

7. virtual console/screen -> small/tiny "screen" app??

8. Dial-up to Win95 box?

9. 2nd ALSA update [12/12] - 2002/10/01

10. s390 fixes (12/12).

11. [2.5] kbuild-2.5 12/12: scsi stuff

12. Why do UMTS-links provide DNS Server 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14?

13. () Pointer to Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ (95/12/12)