PCI Graphics card suggestions

Post by Randall Jon » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I am currently upgrading my Linux system.  I'm running XFree86 and looking
for a good middle to high-end graphics card for the PCI bus.
I would like to get at least 24bpp in approx. 1024x768 resolution

I've heard good things about the ATI Graphics Pro Turbo cards, but
something about not (yet) supported RAM-DACs?
The Orchid Farenheit 64 and 9GXE64 cards come to mind.

Please, I'm hoping for a constructive discussion of good cards that
are proving themselve in Linux XFree86 systems.

Thanks to All.

++Randy

--
++
Randall Jones

NRAO AOC - Interference Protection

1. Q: Suggestions for 2D/3D graphics card?

Hey everybody,

I am currently in the market for a new graphics card, but I don't know
which to buy.
What I need is about the following (descending in importance)
1280x1024 at 24 or 32 bpp
very stable
High 2D Performance
High OpenGL 3D Performance (no games, medical visualisation only)

I had an Elsa Erazor with Nvidia chip, but this card crashed a lot when
using nvidias driver, how stable are the new Nvidia card/driver combos?
How is the 3D-Performance of Matrox card? They seem to be quite fast for 2D
and are quite affordable.
What about ATI cards, how fast and stable is the dri module?

Any ideas/comments greatly appreciated,

Sebastian

Btw, does anybody know whether a Elsa Gloria XXL runs under XFree 4.x with

2. HELP: Getting DNS to work

3. Suggestion on graphic card....

4. Bad block remapper needed, Linux or DOS

5. Suggestions about graphic card

6. helper routines for flash chip probing, search sequence

7. Graphics card suggestion?

8. Assembly subroutines !?

9. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

10. Suggestions for Wireless PCI NIC card?

11. Dual Firewire/USB PCI card - suggestions?

12. 802.11g PCI card and WAP/router for Linux - suggestions?

13. Request suggestions for Best PCI Video card.