Japanese on Linux *Console*

Post by Jeev » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'd like to be able to type japanese characters into console applications.
However, despite the JE-Howto, I'm stuck. Has any other English-speaker out
there succeeded in setting up JE on the console? My Japanese is not very
good (yet), so most of the docs that come with JE are almost useless. I've
already set up the basic parts of JE, including kon and the canna system,
but I can't figure out how to use the thing.

-- Jeeves

Japanese on Linux *Console*

Post by Guy Yask » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I'd like to be able to type japanese characters into console applications.
> However, despite the JE-Howto, I'm stuck. Has any other English-speaker out
> there succeeded in setting up JE on the console? My Japanese is not very
> good (yet), so most of the docs that come with JE are almost useless. I've
> already set up the basic parts of JE, including kon and the canna system,
> but I can't figure out how to use the thing.

> -- Jeeves

which applications do want to use?  you need to look at application docs
rather than general je stuff.

i can tell you how to use xemacs.

first, you have to compile xemacs with mule support if you haven't done
so already.  when you have a japanese-capable binary, you need to load
the canna library, either through your .emacs file or by hand.  after
that, you need to let xemacs know you want to be in canna mode.
finally, you need to tell it to enter japanese, with a C-o.

mule is pretty similar.

if you're not into emacs style editors, there's jvim.  i never use it
myself, so i can't help you much there.  i think it does have some
english documentation, though.

ciao,

gy