EtherExpress 10+ ISA card

Post by Shane McIntyr » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

This card is supported by linux but I am having a hard time getting setup
using the eepro drivers. I am running Redhat5.1 Any one able to get this
installed. Please post any advise.

Thanks

EtherExpress 10+ ISA card

Post by Tom Hardin » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> This card is supported by linux but I am having a hard time getting setup
> using the eepro drivers. I am running Redhat5.1 Any one able to get this
> installed. Please post any advise.

Is it a Pro?  If so, the stock driver in rh5.1 does NOT work.  You need
to get the latest from the author (Bao Ha), which includes changes made
by a fellow in Germany.  Sorry I do not have any addresses but I know
from experience that you need to compile a new driver.

EtherExpress 10+ ISA card

Post by Shane McIntyr » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> This card is supported by linux but I am having a hard time getting setup
>> using the eepro drivers. I am running Redhat5.1 Any one able to get this
>> installed. Please post any advise.

>Is it a Pro?  If so, the stock driver in rh5.1 does NOT work.  You need
>to get the latest from the author (Bao Ha), which includes changes made
>by a fellow in Germany.  Sorry I do not have any addresses but I know
>from experience that you need to compile a new driver.

If i find the new driver how would i got about compiling it?

EtherExpress 10+ ISA card

Post by Tom Hardin » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >> This card is supported by linux but I am having a hard time getting setup
> >> using the eepro drivers. I am running Redhat5.1 Any one able to get this
> >> installed. Please post any advise.

> >Is it a Pro?  If so, the stock driver in rh5.1 does NOT work.  You need
> >to get the latest from the author (Bao Ha), which includes changes made
> >by a fellow in Germany.  Sorry I do not have any addresses but I know
> >from experience that you need to compile a new driver.

> If i find the new driver how would i got about compiling it?

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -O6 -c -o eepro.o eepro.c

ought to do it if you can find the eepro.c that explicitly has PRO/10+
ISA support added.

1. (update) RedHat 5.1: EtherExpress 10 ISA card: HW address not recognizable by Linux

Hi, all!

--- UPDATE -----------------------------------------------------

While this  is  identified  by  Intel  utility  ex10set.exe  as
EtherExpress 10 ISA, it has 82595FX chip in it. (It is not Pro,
I am sure)

It seems, that  some  mix  of  eepro  and  eexpress  driver  is
needed... (eepro for 595 chip  and  eexpress  for  EE10  EEPROM
handling?)

Neither one work with this card (at least, I was unable to  get
correct HW address using both of them.

According to eepro, v. 0.11, EEPROM contains all zeros...
(The same with eexpress...)

Web search gave me some links, but no solution.

   So,  must  I  conclude  that  there  is  no Linux driver for ISA
   EtherExpress 10 ? Or  is  there  some  trick  to  make  (eepro?
   eexpress?) drivers work with the card in question?

Can anybody clarify this?

(please, reply to me also: we have very unpredictable  newsfeed

I have some terrible problem with Intel  EtherExpress  10  ISA
card. (*595FX chip)

No matter how I use ex10set.exe utility (I switched off PnP,
tried different io,irq pairs), the result is the same:

when I

insmod eepro

( /etc/conf.modules has something like

alias eth0 none
options eepro io=0x300 irq=11

with correct values)

- module is loaded, but HW address = 00:00:00:00:00:00
(all zeroes) !!!

(ex10set.exe is able to determine the HW)

I have tried irq=0 (to  autodetect  ?)  -  nothing  helps!  The
module is loaded, ifconfig, route work -  but  no  actual  data
transferred!

The same card (after ex10set.exe) works in Windows95.
Cable is OK also.

I will probably give up eepro card and use ne2000
(which works fine) but I still like to know, why SUPPORTED card
doesn't work?

DejaNews show I am not along. However, those  solutions  posted
don't work for me.

And I don't want to switch to 2.2 yet.

It's very funny that  the  driver  behaves  like  the  card  is
properly set (with 0  HW  !!!)  and  ifconfig  thinks  eth0  is
present.

What could be wrong?

(please, reply to me also: we have very unpredictable  newsfeed
this month)

Thank you!

Roman Suzi

kernel 2.0.34, RH 5.1, glibc2 (libc5 also) - usual RH 5.1
with modular things as usual.

2. SPARC Solaris 'lpfilter' for Laserjet on SMC Barricade?

3. (update) RedHat 5.1: EtherExpress 10 ISA card: HW address not

4. ClusterKnoppix

5. Help - Intel EtherExpress 10 ISA card

6. My Linux /var/log/secure file

7. Install Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/10+ ISA card on Redhat 6.1 ---Please help

8. NFS UID > 65536

9. Three Network-Cards INTEL ETHEREXPRESS PRO/10 ISA

10. RedHat 5.1: EtherExpress Pro 10+ ISA card: HW address not recognizable by Linux

11. Intel EtherExpress PRO/10+ ISA card

12. Linux Red Hat 5.0 Problems with Intel EtherExpress pro 10+ ISA NIC card

13. Intel Etherexpress Pro/10+ ISA problem