How to monitor online status?

Post by Markus Draeg » Tue, 20 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,
this is a question from a Linux newbie. I'm using the current Debian
distribution and I am quite happy that I can get pppd to dial my ISP
and get me connected. The only thing is: I start the pppd job, things
happen in the background and some time after I am connected. I would
prefer to get some feed back when the connection is established...
(and possibly when it is disconnected aswell, even if my ppp-off
script works rather fast)...? Surely there is someone out there who
knows how to do that?

Thanks for any help, answer by email preferred,
Markus

Post by Mitch Gorma » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hi folks,
> this is a question from a Linux newbie. I'm using the current Debian
> distribution and I am quite happy that I can get pppd to dial my ISP
> and get me connected. The only thing is: I start the pppd job, things
> happen in the background and some time after I am connected. I would
> prefer to get some feed back when the connection is established...
> (and possibly when it is disconnected aswell, even if my ppp-off
> script works rather fast)...? Surely there is someone out there who
> knows how to do that?

        From a virtual console, try "ifconfig".  From within X, try
one of the many useful utilities, like tkppp, or TkNet.

--
                            Mitch Gorman

1. PPP and online status detection

Hello, there I have a problem with PPP, users connect with winsock,
It works fine for 5 minutes, the the PPP software just terminates it self ?
Why ?, how can I do it, I downloaded and compiled the latest version 2.2d, i
had the same problem before ?
I'm using 1.1.59 , any my command line is something like this:
pppd escape ff passive mtu 1500 netmask 0.0.0.0 proxyarp :Ipadress here.

also. I use the lcp-ip option.. doesn't work always, pppd is still there ?.

Thank you .

Take Care.
--
| Fidonet:  Marek Jasinski 1:259/706

2. DC 390 and first time linux setup

3. GPRS connection status while online (PPPD)

4. libtiff,libpnm,libppm,libpgm,libpbm

5. KICQ doesn't show my online status

6. PPPD & Kernel 2.4.7

7. Script to check online status

8. redhat elm problem

9. Modem status while on-line

10. kmodem showing online and offline status

11. HP DLT Autoloader- no BOT ONLINE unless mt status issued first.

12. PPP, ISDN and online status

13. online and offline monitoring tool called TSMS