tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

Post by Per-Ove Anderss » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:57:20

Hello!

I'm desperatly trying to get a working recovery disk for our Linux
RedHat 7.1 servers. I downloaded both the floppy and the bootable CD
version of tomsrtbt from www.toms.net/rb and followed the
instructions. I got them both to work for machines with a single disk
and no RAID.
However when I try to use them on the important machines which are IBM
Netfinity 5000 with RAID 5 (2 CPU:s, 2 HD) it hangs just saying LIL (I
guess it's trying to say LILO but suddenly dies). Does anyone know how
to get around this?

Thanks

Per-Ove Andersson, Globesoft

tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

Post by Bit Twist » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:12:20

Quote:> Hello!

> I'm desperatly trying to get a working recovery disk for our Linux
> RedHat 7.1 servers. I downloaded both the floppy and the bootable CD
> version of tomsrtbt from www.toms.net/rb and followed the
> instructions. I got them both to work for machines with a single disk
> and no RAID.
> However when I try to use them on the important machines which are IBM
> Netfinity 5000 with RAID 5 (2 CPU:s, 2 HD) it hangs just saying LIL (I
> guess it's trying to say LILO but suddenly dies). Does anyone know how
> to get around this?

From the /usr/share/doc/lilo-doc-21.7.5/User_Guide.ps

5.2.1 LILO start message

LIL - The second stage boot loader has been started, but it can't load
the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
media failure or by a geometry mismatch,

tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

Post by fledermau » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:09:03

I had same problems with three releases of tomsrtbt, so used ramf and zdisk.
They work well and can be plased on a small partition as well.
""
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/recovery/

tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:05:19

Quote:> the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
> media failure or by a geometry mismatch,

In other words, the boot disk doesn't understand his RAID partitions?
--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (500 of 710)
-> I have always felt that although someone may defeat me, and I
-> strike out in a ball game, the pitcher on the particular day was
-> the best player. But I know when I see him again, I'm going to be
-> ready for his curve ball. Failure is a part of success.
-> - Hank Aaron

tomsrtbt hangs during boot, saying "LIL"

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:49:15

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 07:05:19 -0600, Michael Lee Yohe staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:

>> the descriptor table from the map file. This is typically caused by a
>> media failure or by a geometry mismatch,

> In other words, the boot disk doesn't understand his RAID partitions?

Even if Tom's doesn't understand the RAID layout (which is probable,
since Tom can't fit *everything* on one floppy) then that wouldn't cause
that particular error.  Tom's RootBoot has the kernel and a compressed
filesystem image all on the floppy, and the compressed image is loaded
as a RAMdisk and mounted as / .

The most likely cause of the LIL- error for Tom's is marginal media or
floppy drives.  Not all drives can successfully format 1722K floppies,
though most can.  Not all floppy disks can successfully take a 1722K
format, either, since quality control on 3.5" floppies is practically
nonexistent these days.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. booting hangs up with "LIL-"

I have DOS and Linux on /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2, respectively, and OS/2 on /dev/hda1.  For a while
all three systems booted without any problems.  Now my 386 stops booting lilo and hangs up
with

LIL-

The last thing I remember doing was deleting files after running out of space on /dev/hdb2.  (A typical
activity for me.)  What could be the problem?  How can I get lilo to boot again?

2. Need ircII binary

3. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

4. csh script .... help !!

5. bootdisk says "LIL-" and does nothing (slak 3.6)

6. cat5 workaround

8. Ports and update: versions disparity

9. hang up while booting with "L020202020.." and "LI..."

10. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

11. "Hanging" on detecting SCSI during boot.

12. Hang during boot at "Finding Module Dependencies"

13. Hangs during boot at "Starting System Logger"