_NEED_SHRLIB_libc_4 ? I have libc.so.4

Post by Mitchum DSouz » Thu, 31 Mar 1994 22:25:14

| >'I've been digging for FAQ files that might answer this for a week without
| >luck; please, somebody help me out here...
|
| >When I attempt to link a number of things, such as pppd or xrn, I get a
| >messages stating that there are multiple definitions of _NEEDS_SHRLIB_libc_4
| >in /usr/lib/libgcc.sa and /usr/lib/libc.sa.  I tried the obvious things:...
|
| I got this error after updating my gcc, libc, etc. I was able to fix things
| by deleting the old /usr/lib/libgcc.sa which is not part of the new
| distribution, and adding links from
|         /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.5.8/libgcc.a to /usr/lib/libgcc.a

You shouldn't need to do this.

| and some others. I still don't know if I have things set up correctly,
| but I am able to compile Xt and Xm programs. This info is in the release
| doc, but the instructions are pretty poor, to be honest.

I dont think the lines

         4) /usr/lib/libgcc.sa and  /usr/lib/libgcc.a must not be used with
            libc 4.5.21. You have to remove/backup /usr/lib/libgcc.*.

in the release notes constitute your description of "the instructions are pretty
poor, to be honest".

Mitch

1. Why did some of the networking API change between libc.so.5 and libc.so.6?

Hi all.

I have a program using dns_mkquery, gethostbyaddr_r and a few other.  I
upgraded from Slackware 3.4 to
Redhat 5.1 (too see if Redhat was really as easy as all told - but
that's a different story) and now I see that
my program doesn't build because the API to these networking routines
changed.  I can see this as
viable if the industry standard were going that way, but the UNIX98 spec
didn't seem to call for these
changes as I could see, so does anyone know why this happened.  The long
and short is that instead
of these routines having a return value (hostent **) which really only
pointed to something you'd passed
in (hostent *), you now have to pass in the item.  I dunno why this
change happened, but I don't like
having to rewrite API's without a reason.  Any ideas?  I'm not as good
as I should be on rechecking these

I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

kenbo "frustrated"

(Now that I finally have a gdb with thread support, I cannot build my
app to debug!  ARGH!)

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. IPFW Docs needed

3. libc.so.4 vs libc.so.5 ?

4. konsole not linking on Solaris - fixed, please test

5. How do I relink libc.so.4 to libc.so.4.4.1?

6. Kernel that supports SB16 SCSI-2 CD-ROM

7. libc.a and libc.so, libc.so.1libc.so.2, where is my library?

8. Illegal SCSI block length

9. libc.so & libc.so.1

10. Using libc.a versus libc.so with FreeBSD

11. libc 2.x, libc 5, libc 6

12. Need help undestanding libc.so.3.0 -> libc.so.3.1 and libutil. Need a tech Guru probably :-)

13. Binaries linked to libc.so.5 AND libc.so.6? Hmmm...