cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition

cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:59:05 GMT, Bruceh

Quote:>I copied files from my Dos/Windows partition to /tmp on my Linux partition.
>I noticed that some of the files were not the same size.  It seems as though
>text files were changed removing the \r characters.

>Is this a normal thing?  If so, how do I supress this?

No, this is not normal.  Check your /etc/fstab and make sure that no
"conv=" strings are present in the line that specifies mount options for
the DOS partition.  It should look like so:

/dev/hda1   /mnt/dos   noexec,user,noauto   0   0

By default, no conversion is performed on DOS files, but you can get CRLF
-> LF translation on text files by specifying "conv=auto" in the fstab
options.  Which distro is this, btw?  Seems like a silly thing for them to
be doing....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long at the face
\----[this space for rent]-----/  \   of the Computer or her children and still

Post by Bruce » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I copied files from my Dos/Windows partition to /tmp on my Linux partition.
I noticed that some of the files were not the same size.  It seems as though
text files were changed removing the \r characters.

Is this a normal thing?  If so, how do I supress this?

TIA

-bruceh-

cp'ing files from Dos/Windows partition to Linux partition

Post by Bruce » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:59:05 GMT, Bruceh

> >I copied files from my Dos/Windows partition to /tmp on my Linux partition.
> >I noticed that some of the files were not the same size.  It seems as though
> >text files were changed removing the \r characters.

> >Is this a normal thing?  If so, how do I supress this?

> No, this is not normal.  Check your /etc/fstab and make sure that no
> "conv=" strings are present in the line that specifies mount options for
> the DOS partition.  It should look like so:

> /dev/hda1   /mnt/dos   noexec,user,noauto   0   0

> By default, no conversion is performed on DOS files, but you can get CRLF
> -> LF translation on text files by specifying "conv=auto" in the fstab
> options.  Which distro is this, btw?  Seems like a silly thing for them to
> be doing....

Matt,

That was the problem.  There was a "conv=auto" that I changed
to "conv=binary" (no conversion).

I am using a Mandrake.

Thanks!

-bruceh-

1. Problem "mv"ing to DOS partition, "cp" is ok....

I've never fixed the mount statement so non-root can write to
/DOS, but this is a root problem!

I can cp files over with no problem, but if I attempt to
mv the same file, I get:
        operation not permitted
back.

Whydat?

this is 99.14
--

& no one will talk to a host that's close...........(v)301 56 LINUX

2. accidentally changed permissions of /var - *nothing* works!

3. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition

4. trouble with stdarg.h and varargs.h

5. Please help! cp from DOS partition to Linux

6. more on dip/SLIP setups

7. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

8. RedHat 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade question

9. How can Dos partitions & Dos files be viewed in Linux ?

10. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

11. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition

12. Using WD1007 with DOS partitions & Adaptec 1542B with Linux partitions

13. DOS partition/Linux partition question