Problem with rhosts and 'r' utils.

Post by Neil Cliffo » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

I'm using Redhat 3.0.3 on several machines and am having a problem
getting rdist and friends to work (it would be nice to rdist binaries to
various clent machines in order to keep them in sync with some master
copy).

Symptom: machine demands password even though (eg) when running rsh as
root from hosta to hostb (both running aforementioned Redhat Linux),
where hostb has entries for every tty in /etc/securetty and has

hostb   root

in /.rhosts, plus has entries in /etc/hosts.allow for in.rshd, etc to
allow hosta to access the machine.

Any ideas? What have I overlooked?

Many thanks for any help.

--

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'm using Redhat 3.0.3 on several machines and am having a problem
>getting rdist and friends to work (it would be nice to rdist binaries to
>various clent machines in order to keep them in sync with some master
>copy).

>Symptom: machine demands password even though (eg) when running rsh as
>root from hosta to hostb (both running aforementioned Redhat Linux),
>where hostb has entries for every tty in /etc/securetty and has

>hostb       root

>in /.rhosts, plus has entries in /etc/hosts.allow for in.rshd, etc to
>allow hosta to access the machine.

>Any ideas? What have I overlooked?

Is ~root/.rhosts the same as /.rhosts ?

rsh interactively is in fact rlogin.  As shipped most Linux
distributions' rlogind wont honour ~root/.rhosts (I have patch) but
this bug should not effect programs using non-interactive rsh.

1. rsh as root - no password - /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts doesn't work?

On most other Unix systems, one can rsh, even as root, to
another machine (or even the same machine) with out being asked for
a password so long as there is a /.rhosts or /root/.rhosts.

I am trying to do this under linux, and it *always* asks for
a password!  Why?  What am I missing?  I searched the FAQ's
and LDP docs but couldn't find anything.

I know this must be possible, because sometimes this is required
(doing a backup for example).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Cheers,
Glenn

2. printer permissions. kinda complicated...watchout!

3. 'freq' util for Stealth core dumps under SLS 1.03

4. Netscape freezes unexpectedly

5. Simple 'sed', 'awk', 'cut' problem

6. clear data output from libpcap

7. corupt 'mount' util.

8. problems to read tape from HP 1533 with HP 1512A

9. 'more'-like util for MS-DOS?

10. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'

11. 'minitool' tiny utils for boot floppies

12. 'md' Disk Striping util-- anyone using w/ 1.3.X?

13. bootable floppy 'emergency' restore util?