Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

Post by Mglottm » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Anyone know how to make windows process a samba sent print request using
the windows printer drivers?

I have set up samba on my linux box, and I can succesfully print text to my
windows98 HP722C, using smbprint. The problem is that printing through samba
writes directly to the shared win98 printer port, bypassing any windows printer
drivers. So attempting to print a jpeg file etc through samba ends up with
garbage coming out of the windows printer.  The same effect can be seen from
the windows box if you type "copy xxx.jpg lpt1".

Is there a way to configure samba, or windows to apply the windows printer
drivers to the print request before sending it to the printer?  I have
discovered
that many drivers are only available on windows, so I would like to let samba
pass the raw file to the windows box and have its drivers do the dirty work.

If anyone has any Ideas on how to perform this, it would be apreciated.

Thanks,
Marc Lottman

Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

Post by John McKo » Mon, 06 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have set up samba on my linux box, and I can succesfully print text to my
>windows98 HP722C, using smbprint. The problem is that printing through samba
>writes directly to the shared win98 printer port, bypassing any windows
>printer
>drivers. So attempting to print a jpeg file etc through samba ends up with
>garbage coming out of the windows printer.  The same effect can be seen from
>the windows box if you type "copy xxx.jpg lpt1".

I have a Windows Printer (HP1000C). I thought that I was up a creek as well
because Linux did not have a print driver for this printer. I also wanted
to use the Windows driver by using smbclient to pass the print to a
Windows shared printer. As you found out, this is not how it works. However,
I did find out that the HP1000C has "DOS support under Windows". I finally
tracked down the information that a DOS program, running under Windows,
could print to this printer by using the DeskJet 550 as the printer.
Apparently, the HP/Windows printer driver will then convert the DJ550
output correctly. I'd almost be willing to bet that your 722 will do something
similiar. I'd not be surprized if it also emulated a 550 for "DOS programs".
Why not try? My /etc/printcap file is at the bottom of this message.
I used the RedHat control panel to configure the printer. It was really
fairly simple. I assume you already know how to use this.

Hope this helps,
John

# /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB cdj550 300x300 letter {} DeskJet550 24 1
lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/acct:\
        :lp=/dev/null:

Using samba and windows drivers to print to windows printer

Post by Monte E Milanu » Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone know how to make windows process a samba sent print request using
> the windows printer drivers?

> I have set up samba on my linux box, and I can succesfully print text to my
> windows98 HP722C, using smbprint. The problem is that printing through samba
> writes directly to the shared win98 printer port, bypassing any windows printer
> drivers. So attempting to print a jpeg file etc through samba ends up with
> garbage coming out of the windows printer.  The same effect can be seen from
> the windows box if you type "copy xxx.jpg lpt1".

> Is there a way to configure samba, or windows to apply the windows printer
> drivers to the print request before sending it to the printer?  I have
> discovered
> that many drivers are only available on windows, so I would like to let samba
> pass the raw file to the windows box and have its drivers do the dirty work.

Did you get this to work?  I kind of need to know, as I had swapped my
fiance's Epson Stylus 640 for my HP 722C, putting the 722c on her Win98
box since it doesn't work worth a darn w/ Linux, and the 640 on my SuSE
6.2 box, w/ the intent of setting up printing via samba to either printer
from anywhere in the house.  Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Monte

--
There are three kinds of men.  There are the ones who
learn by observation.  Then there are the few who learn

---Will Rogers

What kind are you?